Coaching and Youth Sports

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by cotton, Mar 25, 2013.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Found out this morning that 2 of the better players (linemen) my son's age from the other Maryville organization team have defected over to ours. Our 9's should be able to pound the ball against some 11U teams.

2. CardinalVol

I am genuinely amazed when parents request for their kids to not be placed on certain a specific coach team in tee ball.

3. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Certain coaches are assholes.

4. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

There is this guy in Maryville that I keep hearing about.

5. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Projection.

6. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

one of my assistant coaches requested this for his other kid. the coach is a nice guy, yeah a shitty coach and a little clueless, but a nice enough guy. I tried to explain to him that by requesting this that invariably someone will tell the guy he requested it and cause bad blood. the coaches other kid is in our division too. my coach still went ahead and made the request after my speech. i know enough shit about other people in the league to know that people gossip like crazy and nothing is a secret.

7. CardinalVol

It amazes me because

1. In some cases the coaches really are that big of jackasses.

2. In this particular case, I know both coaches, and can promise that they aren't the problem.

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

the moms who go crazy with this shit is what always amazes me. who cares if you hate the coach's wife? it's little league, not social hour

justingroves likes this.
  9. CardinalVol

We usually just have problem with the white trash moms.

One kid has had it ruined for him because his mom is just that bad. Good kid, pretty good little player, but everyone is done with his mom.

10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

my brother in law told me not to draft a kid because of his mom. that was a first for me. apparently she reported a manager last year saying he was abusive. i know the guy and i'm not sure i've ever heard him raise his voice.

11. cotton

Maybe. I understand it, though, at least from a certain perspective.

I think I've said it on here before, but my son's first soccer season was a complete waste of time. It might as well have been playtime for 2 hours a week, with the coach telling us that she signed up just so she could set the practice time. I've seen coaches that I would have either had to fight or pull my kid off their team if he or she had gone in the pool and pulled the short straw. So I told my wife after that first season that I will either finagle my kids onto a team with someone I think will do a decent job* with them or I will coach them myself. So I coach girl's soccer and boy's baseball, and I let someone else take care of basketball and boy's soccer. Golf and tennis are easy because they are private lessons, and I suck at them, although probably no more than soccer.

*Decent job to me means to organize the kids in some coherent way, teach them something about the sport they are playing, and require some level of focus and effort from the players, all while being somewhat of a decent person.

12. cotton

Draft parents and the kids will be fine.

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

yup. always has been my philosophy. i passed on the best kid in the division because the dad is a [penis].

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

so every field practice at the little league i've gotten for baseball has been rained out and my only field practice left till the start of the season is this sunday and it's showing rain starting an hour before. sigh. my wife says me caring means i'm an insane person.

15. CardinalVol

Send her here to interview people about me if she wants to know the definition of insane.

droski likes this.
  16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

you chose to be the president of your little league. i already knew you were insane. i have the former president's kid on my team and the poor guy clearly is so burned out from last year he doesn't want to volunteer to do shit for our team. i told him he's done enough already and to not worry about it.

17. CardinalVol

Until you've -

-had one of your dads book the high school gym so your team of 4 year olds can practice
    -lost multiple nights sleep over a 5/6 year old tee ball game because of a coaching mistake
    -went to opponents game and presented a scouting report to your coaches for the next team you play, and
    -have at least one phone call a year from a league official saying parents on other teams are complaining about you

you aren't even worthy to be considered insane.

18. CardinalVol

VP for baseball. I don't care enough about all the external stuff, I just want a dominant baseball program.

droski likes this.
  19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I lost multiple nights of sleep worried about the coach pitch draft.

20. CardinalVol

Well, you might be worthy of consideration.