Coaching and Youth Sports

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by cotton, Mar 25, 2013.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Then I spent the next couple of days after worried I screwed it up

2. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I enjoyed coaching kids low on the draft board. Some of the better kids and parents already thought they knew everything.
    Had one kid that supposedly killed the ball. First practice the dad is out there early tossing underhand. After the first practice his parents told me I threw BP too hard and didnt "give him time to react and swing". I dont miss baseball parents.

3. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

We may have fun.

There is another park in town doing a Ripken League this year (which as an organization I like better). However, the leadership there is subpar. As of last weekend they had 30 kids signed up from 4 years old to 12 years old. Their last sign up day is tomorrow.

Our registration closes at midnight. And the likelihood we can absorb 30 more kids is slim to none. We've told them they better make a decision before today if they are doing to have a league or not, but it looks like they are going full speed ahead. There's no way they will actually have enough kids, they won't do it, and then everyone is going to get mad at us because we tell them we are full.

4. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

I'm skipping that shit this year.

My league is going to play 9-12 together, and u have a brother with a very good 11 yes old. I'm gonna sit back, relax, and assist cotton the younger.

droski likes this.
  5. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I plan on doing that once people start caring too much at the higher divisions.

6. CardinalVol

10 wee ball teams
    14 tee ball teams
    12 coach pitch teams
    10 10U teams
    8 12U teams

Whew.

7. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Not going to lie, the number of kids playing baseball in your league is surprising to me.

8. CardinalVol

We promote the heck out of it in elementary schools and preschool programs.

9. NorrisAlan

what is the retention like into Little League and High School?

10. CardinalVol

When my son was 5, we had either 14 or 16 teams in the ages that are now 9/10, and we'll have 10 teams in that age division this year.

11. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Omg we have half those teams. How many fields do you have?

12. CardinalVol

HAHAHAHAHA

5, and 1 is for 13-16 ages, but we're gonna use it for wee ball this spring.

It makes for fun scheduling.

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Ah. We have 3 fields. Still that’s crazy. We had 4 wee ball teams when I coached wee ball

14. CardinalVol

I want to do away with our senior league, turn it into a showcase 12U field, and adjust around accordingly.

We've got softball too, which isn't included in those numbers.

5 Tee BAll
    5 coach pitch
    10 12U

droski likes this.
  15. NorrisAlan

jesus, between practice and games, when does the grounds workers get to mow the outfield and scrape the infield?

16. CardinalVol

We hardly use the fields for practice. Coaches have to find their own fields in the area. That part is a mess.

We've got a group of the inmates from the jail that can do service time to shorten their sentence that comes out once a week to do a lot of the stuff.

17. NorrisAlan

So Maryville not only cheats at HS Football, but supports slave labor. Got it.

justingroves likes this.
  18. CardinalVol

Every Wednesday those guys work is one less day they have to serve. Everyone wins.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  19. CardinalVol

The Circle of Life drill is ball for every football person's soul. I don't care what age it is.

20. CardinalVol

Tryouts were scheduled for Saturday. As you can guess, they didn't happen.

We were going to schedule them Thursday. Then the forecast changed so we had to make a last minute decision to do them tonight because we don't want to get to the weekend without doing them.

We say at least a hundred times we know this is last minute and we are sorry that it is an inconvenience (as if it isn't for us too), but good God some moms have lost their minds.