Coaching and Youth Sports

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by cotton, Mar 25, 2013.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

my team is kicking ass and taking names though. . .

2. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Probably due to your calls behind the plate.

3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i'm a nice guy. the opposing manager called his own kid out on a rule that doesn't go into effect until midseason and i told him he wasn't out and let the kid take his base. that's just the type of guy i am. (of course we were kicking their ass already)

Ssmiff likes this.
  4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

speaking of the above. how hard is it for the managers to read a 2 page division rule book?

5. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

My son may be our starting 2nd baseman.

As a dad I'm thrilled to see the progress he's made.

As a coach this concerns me.

droski likes this.
  6. CardinalVol

We're all right other than needing a SS when our main SS is pitching. But right now we have no clue who that is.

7. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

I would like to THANK all of you that are coaching, teaching and working with our youth.
    Good on ya!

droski likes this.
  8. CardinalVol

First scrimmage tonight. Looked as I expected other than we looked awful at the plate, especially compared to how we've hit in practice.

Got 9 days to fix that.

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

My team is in a two week regression. How we can play so well 2 weeks ago and now half the team is screwing off and out to lunch I have no idea.

10. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Drafted our Major Boys team last night. My brother, who has a pretty terrific 11yo, is coaching, and I'm assisting with Cotton Jr, who is 9, on the team for his first look at kid pitch. I know there is going to be a lot to learn, but my initial thoughts were:

1. I never had an assistant actually help me with the draft, or distribute candy, or provide a lot of structural, organizational help. I'm the best big brother, ever;
    2. I'm so damned glad somebody else is responsible for all that crap for a while. Drafted an imbecile? Parents upset? Can't make practice? Short a jersey? Not my problem. Will help any way I can, but Cotton the Younger is captain of this ship, and that's pretty cool for a change.

Tenacious D likes this.
  11. CardinalVol

Got the text that one of my pitchers woke up yesterday and couldn't move his arm after throwing about 30 pitches in BP on Wednesday. So now I am worried most certainly about the kid and also if I did anything wrong with it as well.

12. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

If that kid can't throw a ball 30 times, you need to cut him. Who is your strength and conditioning coach.

justingroves and Indy like this.
  13. CardinalVol

Some guy. Had a Lyle Jones as a reference.............................oh.

Crap.

14. CardinalVol

Assisting with the daughter's tee ball team this year. I tell girls to run to second base and make sure the right fielder doesn't play in the dirt.

Quite enjoyable from the stress of last year with her.

15. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Utterly impossible.

No one reads anything. Ever.
    Also, everyone claims to never know anything, what’s going on or why. Ever.

16. Tenacious D

I’m going to coach a Weeball team after my final season with football. Not even joking.

17. Tenacious D

After football season, the start of basketball feels better than a 2-week trip to Bora Bora for me.

Show up, sit and watch, leave.

One kid, one bag, no stopping on the way out, no texts or calls on the way home.

Heaven.

18. CardinalVol

It's insanely relaxing. I've told my wife when the kids are through I may just coach one annually just to have fun with it.

19. CardinalVol

I get bored. Can't help. Hate just watching. It has nothing to do with trying to watch out for my kids, I just enjoy coaching.

20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I had a guy who coached in my division last fall ask me what the run limit was.