Coaching and Youth Sports

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by cotton, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I had a mom call me to ask if we had a game that night. I didn’t answer my phone, but instead walked over to her and said, “Yes”, because she was standing about 20 yards from where we were warming up.

All 30+ of us.

droski likes this.
  2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

You win.

I cannot beat that. I cannot do it.

3. CardinalVol

Haven't even made it to game 1 and parents are already complaining about my "tone" coaching.

That's a new personal record.

4. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Well, bye then.

5. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

How dare you yell at little Jimmy! He has a condition!

Poppa T likes this.
  6. Ssmiff

One team we are on suspends parents for coaching from thr bleachers, but offers a ride to the kid for practice and games, if they dont get mad and quit.
    Another is coached by Bernard Pollard and he doesnt give a flip. Gets on them hard, benches, yells. Tells parents at the beginning of the year that hes tired of soft parents and soft kids and how he will challenge them. Took my son a few weeks but now hes ready for any amount of yelling and knows how to play thru it.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  7. CardinalVol

Best part is they didn't come to me, they came to my assistant's wife.

I'm pretty sure I know who one of the two is and their kid doesn't need to be on a field. He's awful. First year playing "real" baseball after playing on a church league the last couple of years. I let him have it pretty good last night, and you could tell it was the first time he'd ever seen that. Can't figure out who the second one is though. Most of these parents I know pretty well though, so it really narrows it down to about 4 kids, because they would say something to me.

And the whole time I'm thinking, man, I'm easy on them as to how I am in football.

8. CardinalVol

11-5 victors.

5 runs on 7 hits in the first inning. No walks. I'll take it.

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Attn parents emailing me 5 hours before the game saying your kid may or may not be able to attend isn’t very helpful

10. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Similarly, emailing me 10 min after the game starts telling me you kid won’t be there is as equally not helpful.

droski likes this.
  11. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Same kid regularly shows up to practice and games without his glove or helmet. Mom always looks confused when I say he needs it

12. CardinalVol

Saturday was baseball day from hell.

Clear sunny skies but because of the rain Thursday night, no sun or wind on Friday and new dirt on the fields, 2 of the 4 were still too muddy to play. We kept pushing games back only to not play on those 2. Was an abject disaster.

13. Ssmiff

My 12 year old gonna be worn out. Lacrosse tomorrow, game wed, practice thurs, Friday 7 v 7 practice, doubleheader football sat morn followed by double header lacrosse at USN. Too much. Didnt know we would play 2 each Saturday.

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

5 out of my first 6 kid struck out today, probably my best 5 players too, and we came roaring back. The one girl on my team went 3 for 3. My one son who didn’t get a hit for the first 6 games now has put the ball into play 7 straight times and is 5-7. Feels good

PilotFlyingJ, NYY and CardinalVol like this.
  15. CardinalVol

6-1 victory. My ace went 4 and a third, 9 strikeouts.

droski likes this.
  16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

They let him pitch 4 innings?

17. CardinalVol

75 pitches..............

And he threw 30 in the first.

18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Yeah we have a 50 pitch limit

19. CardinalVol

Out 10U can go 75 (that's LL rules BTW). He can do it and throw again on Monday.

droski likes this.
  20. CardinalVol

4-4 tie.

Played terrible for 4.5 innings and finally woke up in bottom 5. Bad call to end the game, but we made enough mistakes to beat ourselves.