Coaching and Youth Sports

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by cotton, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Made me remember i put a video of his first match in memphis on youtube for friends and family to see. Other kid shouldnt have been out there by the way, even though it was beginner division.
    E woulds made a good little football player at OG or DT at 9 or 10, but showed zero interest.

2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I love those beginner tournaments with the kid who can execute every move flawlessly. The year my son did it he could hold his own against most anybody except for the sandbagger.

Ssmiff likes this.
  3. CardinalVol

Side note - my son hates Alcoa as we do Alabama and it is a glorious and hysterical thing to behold.

4. Ssmiff

Yep and if the redheaded kid had more experience, he wouldve driven low early with double or single leg and E woulda been taken down. He was too high, but his favorite move was headlock takedown and when he got the head and shirt it was over.

5. CardinalVol

Also - I've fully converted to a 100% spread offense guy. I probably have been for a while, but it's time to make it public.

6. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Love it.

7. CardinalVol

If I were to be an OC above the 7-8 year old level, I would never line up with less than 3 receivers on the field outside of 4th and 1s and at the goalline. And I've about convinced myself it can work at the 7-8 level too.

8. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

If you can have an answer for cover 0, you can live in it.

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Finally finished and posted the fall baseball schedule and a guy who is stupidly managing 2 teams immediately emails me to complain about early start times and too many weekday games. He seriously expected me to change that shit just for him. If you don’t have the free time, don’t manage 2 teams. [cue card laughing at me]

10. CardinalVol

Not gonna laugh, just going to nod my head up and down in agreement.

droski likes this.
  11. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

He’s already told me he’s going to make a side agreement with the other coaches to start later. I told him not to do it. I can’t decide whether to rat him out to the president who will have a shit fit or just ignore it. I think I’m going with the latter. If it blows up on him I won’t feel bad though

12. Ssmiff

MBA at Brentwood tonight. Young Granzow kid at QB has some potential. He replaced a sr last year midseason. Crazy to see kids other ive known since they were in tball out there competiting.

13. CardinalVol

Marty Henry, an umpire from Knoxville, will be at 3B for the LLWS championship today. Pretty cool stuff.

14. CardinalVol

Best & fastest player on son's team (best player in league) is over the weight limit and has to play on the line. It can become quite comical watching some of these kids try to block him. Last night was no exception. At halftime their opponent's coach was lighting up the kid who was trying to block him. Half the people in the stands would have trouble with that kid, and probably the coach himself.

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

what kind of bizarre rule is this?

16. Ssmiff

went and watched some of my son's 7 v 7 teammates play their first tackle game Saturday. They looked good. The qb and rb's dads both played skill positions in the nfl and it was evident. 2nd play was a pitch left, the rb snagged it left handed and at the same time he snagged it, cut back to make 2 defenders hit each other, added a stiff arm and went 60 yards. 6th grade football still looks the same as it did 40 years ago. 2-3 kids who really standout quickly on both sides of the ball

17. Low Country Vol

Low Country Vol Contributor

Any parents have their kid go or planning to go to Cooperstown Dream Park for a week? I hear the expereince is amazing for the kids and the conclusion end of their youth baseball experience at 12u. Id love to share my advice or you provide yours. The planning process is rigorous to say the least. We will be heading there summer 2020.

18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Our league sent a team. All I know is they had a once in a lifetime experience. They also said the skill level varied considerably by team

19. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Fall seasons underway, and I'm coaching 9u girls soccer and 9-12 fall baseball. Mixed results so far.

Girls started Saturday, big field, off-sides, 7 v 7. We played the first 5 minutes 0-3, and the next 35 minutes 2-0.

Baseball stated Tuesday, and after playing well for two innings fell apart for a mercy rule loss. Played again last night and won by mercy rule in a game where every kid in my lineup had a base hit.

So, I'm thinking the coaching has really improved them!

20. CardinalVol

Everything I have ever heard is that it is the most amazing thing you can do in youth baseball.