Coaching Search Competition

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by kptvol, Oct 1, 2017.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

We don't want to be in a bidding war with TAMU. Best to move first and faster. We also don't want to have to contend with Florida, which can match us on just about everything but the charm of East Tennessee over Gainesville.

2. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

I guess they're in the process of fixing it but UF is badly behind in the facilities arms race.

3. dc4utvols

dc4utvols Contributor

Fulmer is in DiPietros inner circle now. This is Warrant Officer 5 level stuff if you ask me and a possible end run on any silliness. DiPietro probably doesn't know a football from a basketball but has hired someone who does.

Article:

“It’s about communication, vision and everyone working together to be on the same page,” said Fulmer, who served as the football coach from 1992-2008. His teams won the 1998 national title, two SEC championships and seven division crowns.

“It’s the board of trustees, the president, the culture and the chancellor, and it bleeds down from there,” Fulmer said. “That’s what we had that was so special, and that’s what we’ll have again.

DiPietro said once he recognized how Fulmer relates to Tennessee graduates and fans, he felt the need to hire him in an official capacity.

“The more I saw him interact with people, he talked less about football and more about what this great university does from the standpoint of educate, discover and connect,” DiPietro said.

“This is a step in a right direction,” said DiPietro, asked about the difficulty of unifying the school and its fan base. “We have to pull together and pull in one direction, and that’s where we’re headed right now.”

Tennessee athletic director John Currie was front and center to applaud the hire, revealing that he had met with Fulmer on numerous occasions leading up to Tuesday’s announcement.

I have enormous respect and appreciation for coach Fulmer,” Currie said. “Candidly, he changed my life because of the experiences I had when I was here for my first tenure, because of the success and visibility of our football program.

“This is a really, really special day for everyone. Once again, coach Fulmer has shown his leadership for the university and the athletic program and football program.”

https://www.seccountry.com/tennessee/tennessee-vols-football-phillip-fulmer

Now rumor to be believed Currie was on Jihad to have Fulmer fired and if true this quote from him is delicious.

And the Fulmer/DiPietro quotes make his innocuous special advisor role sound like it comes with some authority. He may be the proxy president when it comes to football decisions.

4. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

"Borovol already being an Ahole and disrespectful in the coaching search threads. Can't wait to hear what his "contacts" have to say."

This came from VN. Can't post it over there to give him a shout out but I know he posts here too

5. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

He's getting a lot of flack, but he gives worse than he gets.

6. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Mike Price interim at UTEP. Hide the credit cards.

7. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

Damn, UTEP has a better coach than us.

8. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

South-Doyle High had a better coach than us.

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Not really

10. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

C'mon. Now is the time to pile on.

11. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Isn't that where he went after he was fired at Bama?

12. Boro is a good guy...

13. BigOrangeBeech

Absolutley. He's one of the few still carrying the banner over there.

14. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Yeah, apparently he was brought out of retirement for this. Weird. Guess that means Fulmer is in play now.

15. I try yo...

16. BigOrangeBeech

Yeah I've seen you over there some.