College Basketball Coaching Rumor Mill

Discussion in 'Sports' started by JZ1124, Mar 13, 2012.

1. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

Can't remember if somebody told me or I read that Marshall was actually really happy at Wichita; might be a factor.

2. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Cronin didn't tell Huggins when he interviewed with Pitino, while he was still on the staff at UC. Huggs found out through third parties. When Cronin came in to tell him he was taking the job with Pitino, Bob told him something to the effect of "That's good for you, because you weren't going to have a [uck fay]ing job here anymore."

3. hatvol96

It speaks volumes about Ole Miss' commitment, or lack thereof, to basketball that a coach would consider a jump from there to UAB.

4. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

Bruce Weber has been offered the SIU job.

5. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

He's making good money at Wichita.

6. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

Oral Roberts head coach Scott Sutton is a wanted man. According to multiple sources, he was in Atlanta yesterday interviewing for a job. Which job remains the question. Some are reporting that he met with officials from Mississippi State, while others have said he met with representatives from Nebraska. He may in fact be meeting with both! Why Atlanta? It happens to be the home Parker Executive Search. It sounds like they may be using their headquarters as a central location to meet with potential candidates, and Sutton may not be the only one. I’ve heard that over the next few days, as many as four other coaches are expected to interview for one or both of the jobs.

7. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

It has not been a well kept secret that Wagner coach Danny Hurley is taking the URI job…. the biggest rumor now is surrounding the future of his brother Bobby. Wagner is going to make an offer to promote him to replace Danny, but there is some doubt as to whether he wants the job. He is very comfortable in his role as an assistant and I have heard that he may not want to be a head coach yet. It sounds like he may head to URI and remain as Danny’s top lieutenant. I expect an official announcement from URI sometime this week.

- I mentioned yesterday that Ole Miss head coach Andy Kennedy would have interest in the gig at his alma mater UAB. Apparently the Ole Miss administration feels the same way. They are scrambling right now to see what they can do to keep Kennedy. I’ve heard that they may not increase value of his contract, but have discussed adding more years. He currently has two remaining.

- The [penis] Versace to Eastern Illinois rumors are silly. A lot of guys are running around saying that he is involved in the EIC job – he’s not. Versace is the one who has expressed interest in the job, and as of today, the feeling is not mutual. The 71-year old Versace has a great background – he was an assistant to Chuck Daly with the Pistons, and eventually became the head coach of the Pacers. He does have college experience as well – he was the head coach at Bradley from 1978-1986 (he won 32 games with Hersey Hawkins in 1986). However, this does not appear to be the direction EIC is headed.

8. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

multiple sources close to the school (Miss. St)have told CBSSports.com over the past 24 hours that athletic director Scott Stricklin is focusing on Murray State's Steve Prohm.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  9. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Google has bumped this thread - lots of "Guests" viewing it.

What's the school / vacancy / coach that is the source of such interest?

Illinois?

You'll have to register to respond....we welcome fans from all schools. The smarter the better.

10. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

He's been a head coach exactly one year. It was a great year, but it was still only one year. That's.....................yeah.

11. hatvol96

People have yet to learn the Lesson of Stan Heath.

12. hatvol96

Frank Martin to South Carolina talk starting to heat up.

13. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Okay, I'm not seeing what about South Carolina is attractive to Martin. I know K-State isn't exactly a traditional power, but it seems like he's built something good there, and I'm not aware of South Carolina caring about basketball.

14. hatvol96

1. More money.
    2. Much closer to his recruiting strongholds in DC and Miami.

15. Tar Volon

Had a feeling the former would be a factor. Didn't realize the latter, but it makes sense.

16. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Jermaine O'Neal, Kevin Garnett and Raymond Felton are just a few guys who grew up and played in SC. There's more talent in that state than people let on. With those facilities the right guy could win big there.

17. hatvol96

South Carolina came agonizingly close to hiring Jim Calhoun when they fired Fogler.

18. Tar Volon

Yeah, there's something there if they cared. But it's not clear that they do or are planning on doing so in the future. Georgia is probably in a similar position

19. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  20. hatvol96

Spending the money required to get Frank Martin would be de facto evidence they are making a concerted effort to build the basketball program.