College Basketball Coaching Rumor Mill

Discussion in 'Sports' started by JZ1124, Mar 13, 2012.

1. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

The East will be exponentially tougher if Martin is in fact the guy. The basketball fan in me can't wait to see Cuonzo and Frank's teams go head to head. They may have to double the training staffs on both squads.

2. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Absolutely. If there's still an East. Have we gotten any info as to how basketball scheduling will work under the expanded SEC?

3. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Quality hire by Nebraska. Tim Miles will give them a needed shot of energy.

4. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

How? He had a national title on his resume, and was coming off an elite 8 or a sweet sixteen, while South Carolina was three years removed from an NCAA tournament appearance. What interested him about that opening?

5. hatvol96

A whole lot of cash and a new challenge.

6. hatvol96

If the administration doesn't screw it up, Martin will be the next coach at South Carolina.

7. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I am surprised by this...but heck of a hire by USCe. Should make the SEC more interesting.

8. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Marshall seemed the more natural fit. Will assume he passed on the opportunity.

9. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

They actually have a component AD so I would think he will make sure all the t's are crossed and i's are dotted.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Damn, SEC East is getting tough.

11. Tar Volon

To the extent that there's still an SEC East. Under the current scheduling arrangement, we'd be at 19 conference games next year. I don't think that will happen.

12. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I believe they've notified coaches/schools we're going to up it to 18.

13. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

I'm a Frank Martin fan; he will be a great addition to the SEC.

14. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I think Martin's an upgrade over Horn, but I think he's a bit overrated.

15. Tar Volon

This is what I expected will happen. But it also we'll have to change up the scheduling in such a way as to reduce 19 games (the regular 16 + 2 more against Missouri + 1 more against A&M) to 18.

16. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

I agree, he just seems a little overrated.

17. DarthVisor

DarthVisor Active Member

I hope this brings some life to our basketball program.

18. hatvol96

The first step to rebuilding a program is hiring a good coach. You've done that.

19. tidwell

tidwell Chieftain

The South Carolina brass really honed in on coaches in Kansas, huh? Were they gonna contact Self if the Martin deal fell through?

20. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

The latest candidate to interview at Mississippi State is Valparaiso head coach Bryce Drew.

Scott Sutton is no longer in the mix at Tulsa, Kansas assistant Danny Manning’s name has jumped to the top of the pack. It sounds like the job is his to lose.