College Football Playoffs

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Tenacious D, Jun 4, 2019.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

The NCAA is missing a massive opportunity in not having an official, and sizably expanded, college football playoff.

Whatever the NCAA currently makes in the college basketball and baseball playoffs would be dwarfed - DWARFED - by whatever they’d get by an expanded and official College Football Playoff.

The NCAA should then use some of that additional revenue to pay a fair compensation to the players of each of its member institutions. Of course, the rest of the money would also fantastically enrich both the NCAA and its member institutions, too. There would be no shortage of money.

Best, the NCAA would reestablish itself as the center of college sports, which they should be desperate to do, as they’ve now been sliding to irrelevance for awhile. I not only think we’ll see it fracture, but sooner rather than later, as the P5 conferences already feel like they’re setting up just such a scenario - and if they break off, football revenue will be what makes it possible.

Here’s the parameters to figure out and to consider:

1. Here’s where it gets tricky - the playoffs should involve a lot more teams - something closer to 32, instead of 4.

2. To win a natty, teams are already being required to play 14 games in a season, and 7-8 conference games. Maybe you remove all but the conference schedule and one out-of-conference game? That makes 8-9 games a year, meaning, you’d still have 6-7 games remaining for a team, and to play in an expanded playoff. Easily do-able, even if it isn’t that drastic of a scheduling change.

3. Any bowl besides the BCS Bowls are utterly irrelevant, there are ample alternative venues now, and we just need to admit these facts. You can now have multiple games at a single site, and you could even put higher seeds playing at home in early rounds.

4. You do not need a month between the end of regular season and post-season. You just don’t. End the regular season, seed the teams, play the following week.

How can this work?

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

It cannot. Schools are not going to lose their 7 game home schedule, not in a million years. It would be a disaster for local economies of the big teams, as well.

TDVol1989 and justingroves like this.
  3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

4 is fine

Okibi2112, Indy, chavisut and 4 others like this.
  4. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Youd have to cut the season # of games down.

5. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Id be fine with 8. More than that is too many.

et45 likes this.
  6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

There's not 8 great teams, though. I wouldn't mind it, it just seems unnecessary.

Volst53 and NorrisAlan like this.
  7. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

no but it seems to me you can get the P5 champs in and a few at-larges and then there won't be much to complain about

et45 and A-Smith like this.
  8. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

16 teams, minimum.

Every conference champ a spot - that’s 11, and leaves 5 at-large teams.

Seed them 1-16, with Top 8 getting first round home game, and highest seed getting home games until down to the final 4 teams are determined for semi and finals.

Finals and semi-finals are annually rotated at two BCS sites on an annual basis (like they do now).

The more you win, the more games you have to play, but the more you get a chance to play at home, too.

Would require two teams to play four (4) additional games, instead of the current two (2) - so shit can two of the three meaningless non-conference games a year, instead. You can still protect your one out of conference rival game per year (eg Miami and Florida, USC and Notre Dame, Georgia and Georgia Tech, etc.).

I’d bet teams would make as much money from a split of a college football playoff as they would from two home games - if not much, much more.

Non P5’s get a guaranteed spot in playoffs.
    5 best at-large teams get in.
    Players would get fairly compensated (clearly, they aren’t going to be shamed into doing it without a sizable amount of additional revenue).
    Scheduling impact is minimal.
    Conference schedules remain intact.
    Out of conference rivalries remain intact.
    Regular season remains supremely important.
    Best bowls are still protected.
    Only top 4 teams would play as many games as they now do - everyone else plays fewer.

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

yup. you are making a situation for the shit teams where their season is a failure if they don't make the playoffs.

justingroves likes this.
  10. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I think 4 is perfect. there's generally only two teams that deserve to be in it but you get the rare year that there's legitimately three top teams.

I think any more than that and you water down the regular college football season to the point that we lose the magic that makes it so special.

11. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

I’m good with eliminating the playoff and going back to the BCS. And get off my lawn.

12. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Yep. Was perfectly fine the way it was. Only time a team actually got even semi-screwed was Auburn, and that’s a win in my book.

A-Smith, utvol0427 and NYY like this.
  13. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I just wanna know what in heck is this thread doing in the Vols Football forum?

14. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

Probably should wait until we at least get competitive semifinals before adding more teams that hade no business competing for a title.

utvol0427 and justingroves like this.
  15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Phantom hold in the seccg

utvol0427 likes this.
  16. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

That was some bullshit.

17. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

There was also something involving Fellows that pissed me off at the time, but can't remember what it was. Can't remember if he was called for a bad PI or there was a missed Offensive PI.

18. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

If we can expand it out to 96 we're right in line for a 19 seed.

NorrisAlan and kmf600 like this.
  19. IP

IP Super Moderator

you could say that in any sport. upsets only happen with room for underdogs

20. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Why do you want to add that when trying to crown the best.