Comcast vs Direct vs Dish

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by utvol0427, Dec 29, 2013.

1. Bassmanbruno

Bassmanbruno Banned

There's a reason they only applied this cap in cities like Jackson, MS and Knoxville, TN and not in cities like Chattanooga, Nashville or Atlanta. It's bullshit. And when I signed on with Comcast it obviously wasn't in place - not that it matters - because I have no other viable option to go to for internet (TV is different) due to where I live (which is downtown).

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

We agree on something! If they can charge for use, we should get reimbursed for bandwidth below the specified amount, as well as whatever we don't use under the cap.

3. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Why? They're charging for access and availability and talk in terms of speeds up to.

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

They can feel free to do whatever they like, but fios is going to run them out of business when it's nationwide so they might want to not screw the customers now.

5. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

and that's a business decision they'll have to face, but why would they do it out of the kindness of their hearts? The market will dictate and they'll respond or die. I can't imagine them underpricing their advantage without legit reason.

6. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Get a proxy. I use PIA.

7. InVolNerable

Where in Knoxville do you live? There's uverse and tds which are much better than Comcast. Uverse is slower, but no caps. Tds is awesome but linked availability.

8. InVolNerable

Google fiber is going to rule everything once they expand.

9. Bassmanbruno

Bassmanbruno Banned

How is a VPN going to help me avoid my data cap? And the apartments I live in are only able to be serviced by Comcast - but even if Uverse was available here - its too slow for what I would want.

10. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

Comcast is trolling Bassman.

11. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Laughed.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

They're the only true competition on the horizon. And their business model WANTS traffic and use. In the end, they will fight for net neutrality because they make more money that way.

13. InVolNerable

Because it services through the proxy isp. So even though you have Comcast, your dl/up are technically going through the proxy isp.

14. Bassmanbruno

Bassmanbruno Banned

Comcast is still going to see data going through it's modem.

15. InVolNerable

Yeah, but you're not technically downloading directly through Comcast servers. I'm not really sure how to explain it, I'm a front end guy, but It's how I got around the caps until I switched to uverse.

You don't have to believe me, but It worked for me.

Last edited: May 2, 2014
  16. IP

IP Super Moderator

You aren't required to use their modem.

17. Bassmanbruno

Bassmanbruno Banned

Well probably most of my data usage comes through smart tvs and roku so I'm not sure how much that would help. I don't torrent as often as I used to.

18. InVolNerable

Route your modem through the proxy instead of individual machines.

19. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Dish is really playing up the SEC Network angle against the competitors. I've got at least 2 pieces of mail from them recently. Don't remember getting anything before.

DTV better step their game up by Aug. or I may be a statistic.

20. Bassmanbruno

Bassmanbruno Banned

How much is that gonna slow my speeds? And did you have your own modem or the comcast one?