Coming Soon.......The movie thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by OrangeEmpire, Apr 20, 2013.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I just looked at the upcoming schedule again. There's just so, so much. You throw in the Sony Spiderman stuff, and you are going to need an org chart to keep it all straight.

IP likes this.
  2. IP

IP Super Moderator

The golden age of comic book movies continues I guess.

3. CardinalVol

I mean, as long as they are well done and can carry the overriding story arc between them, then I've got no problem with it. But I'm afraid they may be doing too much.

IP likes this.
  4. IP

IP Super Moderator

For me personally, they were always doing a bit more than I cared about but I don't think I am the target audience. This is Disney 101. Crank out broadly appealing intellectual property that has an indefinite shelf life. Kids will be watching this stuff on streaming services for the foreseeable future.

CardinalVol likes this.
  5. CardinalVol

I like them, but I've always liked this kind of stuff even if I wasn't a comic book nerd growing up. Heck, I'm the guy who sat down to watch the next to last episode of a cartoon series with my son last night because I've enjoyed it so much.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think what is neat about these movies is they are fairly simple plot wise but still have elements of "doing the right thing even when it isn't convenient," of reasonable differences and working through them, of adapting to change, sacrifice, unintended consequences and responsibility... there are some good lessons wrapped up in these stories for kids to be exposed to. Far worse things to be consuming or making. The juxtaposition of captain America and iron man as people is honestly brilliant stuff.

justingroves likes this.
  7. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

They’re a good access point. I never read a comic book and don’t ever plan to but these are easier to get into for me and don’t require as much effort

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

The MCU is much better at using the source material to make a good movie rather than letting it dictate the movie. Casting Ben Kingsley in a re-imagined Mandarin is so brilliant it is staggering. Completely diffuses a racially offensive comic character by making a direct reference to an actor who has been criticized for being cast in Asian roles. Genius.

justingroves and CardinalVol like this.
  9. JohnnyQuickkick

Trevor Slattery is also kind of hilarious

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Ya, they navigated it so well. Didn't pretend like it didn't happen, but made it social commentary without being overtly cringy or "woke."

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

They did a great job with that

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

My only gripe with the MCU is I'll probably never get to see Captain America and Wolverine fighting nazis in World War II together

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

They'll reboot it all at some point and then you might.

14. CardinalVol

Well, the new Thor trailer has me more excited than I was previously.

justingroves likes this.
  15. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

"YOU FLICKED TOO HARD, DAMMIT!"

16. JohnnyQuickkick

Looks like Natalie Portman has been in the gym

NorrisAlan likes this.
  17. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I though Maverick was solid. On a scale of 0 (being terrible) to the original (being a 10), I give it an 8.

18. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Also, I laughed

19. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Saw Top Gun over the weekend. Solid movie, I thought the whole escape thing at the end was a bit over the top, but pretty good overall.

My one thing I can't figure out is why Maverick and Rooster were always flying alone. Was there any explanation as to why that I didn't catch? It seemed every other pilot had someone with them in this movie and the last (other than instructors) unless I'm forgetting someone.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

In the last movie, they were in F-14's which have a pilot and a RIO (Radar-intercept officer). I haven't seen this movie, but they are in F/A-18's which are single-seaters (A and C variants) except for the trainer variants (B and D).