Conditioned Losers/Culture Change Needed

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by lylsmorr, Sep 22, 2018.

1. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

This. If we’re looking at a ceiling of 4, maybe 5 wins max anyway what do we have to lose here? Upperclassmen getting pissed and leaving?

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He needs them to leave to sign a full class anyways

Savage Orange likes this.
  3. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

I was told by someone that was around the players and their parents in the spring that they expected several to leave after the spring (as many as 10). I found it interesting that it never happened and now that things are more difficult plus the season is heading down a dark path it appears that may be coming back to light.

You like to hope everyone buys in but if they don't them hanging around is not gonna workout for the good.

4. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

So, anecdotal story time:

This reminds me a bit of a unit I got to when I was near end of service in the Marines. It wasn't full-on Hollywood trope, but the guys were a bit soft. They got accustomed to being stateside (it was a signals unit in DC) where garrison/field operations really didn't apply. Folks were used to living off-base, driving in at 6am and doing a run in go fasters (tennis shoes) then going to work and [uck fay]ing around for 10 hours then leaving. It wasn't the fleet and it wasn't really the Marines either.

Around 6 months after I got there, I started slipping into the regimen also. I got used to seeing my wife everyday and living in an apartment off-base. I got used to being able to stand around with my hands in my pockets and I got used to not having to do the normal bullshit the Marines is known for like mopping a parking lot in the rain.

We got to that point because our SNCOIC (senior enlisted guy) was soft. He had not been on a deployment and was one of the few Marines that find a way through the Marines without actually being a Marine. He got replaced by a pretty damned salty dude that had been on 3 deployments by that point (late '07) with 1 of them being with Force Recon (USMC version of green berets and delta force)

I don't really need to go into the colorful metaphors that can be used but he un[uck fay]ed us. Some grumbled as their life of leisure and luxury got destroyed by this guy who brought the fleet to DC.

And that's my story about how people who sign up for the shit life of a Marine can even fall into complacency and resent someone coming in to instill the regimen they knowingly signed up for. Reality is coming hard for this team and Florida was just the beginning. If they quit against a mediocre Florida team, they probably shouldn't even show up against Alabama. Alabama will skull[uck fay] this team if they don't find some stones between now and then.

hohenfelsvol, reVOLt, Ssmiff and 5 others like this.
  5. IP

IP Super Moderator

Apt analogy and good story

6. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

19 SEC wins; 45 SEC losses over just the last 8 years.

We have not been good for quite some time.

Vandy is 18 and 46 over same period (and I just threw up in my mouth typing that).

woodshed likes this.
  7. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

Sometimes you have to remove cancer in order to cure cancer.

hohenfelsvol likes this.