Congrats, Peyton.

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by utvol0427, Dec 30, 2022.

1. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

2. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

The best part is that they acknowledge he played from 94-97, but still went ahead and credited him with the 1998 championship.

3. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Worldwide leader in sports....

ole_orange likes this.
  4. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

That sloppy graphic aside, I thought their overall broadcast production sucked ass tonight. They rarely showed replays when you wanted to actually see one, there was some weird camera cutouts in between plays causing us to not see every single play unfold live, the audio background noise was wompy, and there were several really prolonged awkward dead air moments of silence as if Joe and Greg were under the impression they were on a commercial break when they in fact were not. Plus I don't think Tessitore and McElroy have good chemistry together. A subpar TV production out of ESPN for sure.

5. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Another curse reversed tonight: Peyton Manning and the Orange Bowl in general.

6. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

If I ever hear McElroy do color again, it will be too soon.

Edit: cringe

Last edited: Dec 31, 2022
  7. Volokie

Volokie Active Member

I find myself enjoying Greg McElroy’s game coverage.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

If I could photo shop, I'd keep adding false accolades and Valor to that graphic. "Iraq War Veteran", "Nobel Prize," Grammy, etc

Memtownvol and utvol0427 like this.
  9. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

Welcome to ESPN. This is why I’m not a fan of the SEC going away from CBS. I know that it’s just one game a week, but CBS puts NFL production value into the 330 SEC game of the week.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

CBS announcers sucked. Even in our biggest wins they spent most of the time discussing the opponent's accolades

warhammer and NorrisAlan like this.
  11. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

CBS needs to persuade Gary Danielson to join Verne (who was awesome btw before he got too old) in the retirement home sooner rather than later. But yes, other than Gary, I’m going to greatly miss the ascetics of a SEC on CBS broadcast. The iconic theme music, the high quality storytelling at the very start of each broadcast, the crispness of their cameras and audio. It’s just gonna be strange getting used to CBS not being the SEC primetime game anymore

InVolNerable likes this.
  12. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Gary Danielson is the one who flat out sucks. I’ll never understand why they think he’s awesome at CBS. And Nessler isn’t exactly the GOAT play by play TV announcer-but at least he doesn’t totally suck like Gary does

VOLinDAWGland and IP like this.
  13. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I could live with Nessler, but he seemed to fall off in talent after joining CBS. It may be a Gary effect, but I remembered him being better at ESPN.

Memtownvol likes this.
  14. IP

IP Super Moderator

I just think commentary should not dwell on teams not playing without relevance to the teams that are. And I think commentary should be equally focused on two conference foes. There were games where if you closed your eyes, you wouldn't know tennessee was on the field in many games over the years.

warhammer likes this.
  15. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I love Nessler. One of the best of there IMO.

I usually really like Tessitore too. Really annoying he was all over Clemson last night.

Memtownvol and A-Smith like this.
  16. IP

IP Super Moderator

It was ridiculous. Clemson never led but it was all about them.

17. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

It felt like the whole production didn't take this game seriously and prepared like it. They invested in some lame narratives focused on Clemson that failed. Then they were kind of flailing. Tennessee should have been the focus. They're the surprising comeback program with a ton of interesting sub stories. Clemson feels kind of stale and Dabo looked ridiculous. But that's where they invested their narrative focus. Stupid! Major fail!

Memtownvol and IP like this.
  18. IP

IP Super Moderator

Dabo looked out of his depth. The stars have come out of alignment for him. He's a sanctimonious and unlikeable Richt in an easier conference.

19. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Yea I like Tessitore too generally, but man was he off his game yesterday. And I have finally come to a place where I can tolerate the gingered football dork Gump in certain situations, but the combo of them last night just didn’t vibe well at all. Some broadcaster pairings just don’t have natural chemistry.

Of all the ESPN color commentator guys we encountered this year, Orvlovsky vs LSU had the most informative and useful performance

Tar Volon likes this.
  20. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Felt like everybody (both announcers and Twitter watchers) were so astonished that Clemson kept getting inside the 40 and stalling that it was all they could talk about. Without noticing, of course, that only three of those drives (pre-garbage time) made the red zone, and they ended up averaging an uninspiring 4.8 yards per play. It really wasn’t a great performance by their offense, but they got 30 yards often enough to break everyone’s brains.

Memtownvol and NorrisAlan like this.