POLITICS Congressional "Orientation"

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by IP, Dec 6, 2018.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

https://www.businessinsider.com/ale...en-are-protesting-orientation-harvard-2018-12

No wonder going to Washington is so rapidly corrupting. It is literally part of orientation.

2. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Seems pretty likely that Ocasio-Cortez wandered into the wrong room.

3. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Establishment always wins.

Side note on AOC - I'm still not sure how "smart" she is, but she's quite savvy and has figured out her "brand" quickly.

4. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Kudos to her for calling this out.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

How smart does a congress member really need to be? Represent your constituents. Don't not represent your constituents. It's the smartest ones that can be the biggest trouble, imo.

6. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

After listening to some of them, not very.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

I always thought it was the Senate where you better be sharp, since the playing field is going to tend to be closer and the stakes will be higher.

8. CardinalVol

Not saying you have to be too smart, but like everything else she's presented either as a total idiot or a genius.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm not sure how smart she is, but she is only like 29 and has been waitressing/tending bar. She's being exposed to a lot of stuff for the first time. In that way, we are seeing and hearing from a regular person who has fresh eyes, politics aside. Crenshaw has that aspect to him, too.

10. Tenacious D

Both equally wrong.

People forget that pure stupidity is as rare a pure genius.

11. CardinalVol

Exactly, which is why I am trying to figure out where she is on the spectrum.

12. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

First, it is upsetting, if not surprising to hear corporate lobbyists running orientation for Congressional newcomers.

As far as Ocasio-Castro, I do enjoy her Progressive advocacy, but I am wary as radicals (A real one, not the Obama/Clinton types who have been presented/accused as such) tend to demand orthodoxy and eat their own first.

tvolsfan likes this.
  13. IP

IP Super Moderator

That's what I fear. The constant purity tests.

14. Tenacious D

She’s too young and waaaaaayyy too far left.

She shoots her mouth off too quickly, and that’s going to keep her in some degree of trouble / scandal with everyone but liberal millenials.

But given time and experience, and if she avoids scandal (I have my doubts she has the wherewithal to do so, for now), she’s got a chance to be great. She’s certainly way ahead of the curve.

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i think she's just really stupid

JohnnyQuickkick and Joseph Brant like this.