Correcting the ‘fairy tale’: A SEAL’s account of how Osama bin Laden really died

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by SavageOrangeJug, Nov 9, 2011.

1. I'll just say this and drop it. Someone very close to me spent a long, long time in military intelligence.

We're good. VERY good.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

Let's not forget the fairytale of the NFL player who became a Marine and "died in combat."

3. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Just now read this thread. fl0at dropped some knowledge up in here.
    Carry on.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

I thought it ended up being murder from his fellow rangers?

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

Regardless, the initial story was a romanticized one.

6. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Whatever happened to the American suburbanite who was caught training in Afghanistan right after 911?

7. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

He was tried. I think found guilty and sentenced to time served. I don't recall, but I'll google it really quick.

Edit: Nevermind, he was sentenced to 20 years and is still serving time.

8. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

This thread is fun....

9. "Friendly fire!"

Friendly fire happens. Sucks, but it happenes.

Stonewall Jackson might be the most famous of friendly fire incudents.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Ya, which is more than fair all things considered.

11. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Depends on whether you believe his story that he wasn't fighting Americans, but when they invaded after 9/11 (he was in country before 9/11), he couldn't slip away, for fear of losing his life.

But dude was a serial liar, so hard to say what is true and what isn't. He had a chance to proclaim his citizenship.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

Honestly, he is lucky the way things turned out. Either party could have killed him.

The Islamic extremists he was rolling with didn't turn into bloodthirsty terrorists overnight. He knew what they were when he went over there, before they attacked the US.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

These are things probably not fit for public consumption, at any rate.

14. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

The details will be fuzzy until the operation is unclassified. At any rate, the only thing I know about the raid (not directly told) is that each member of the SEAL team put a bullet in BL. One of the team members is a Vol fan and attended a game shortly after the raid.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

Was that a symbolic thing, or a sort of shared glory/responsibility thing, or what?

16. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

I don't know. If I had to guess, probably a combination of those things as well as a final FU to BL.

17. tidwell

tidwell Chieftain

Got damn it, you mean to tell me all the great shows on the History Channel and NatGeo and the great New York Times pieces on the operation may not have been accurate?

18. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

Jmoore?

19. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

The bronze star is making sense now...