Cost of keeping Botch another year

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by lylsmorr, Dec 4, 2016.

1. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

To go along with TD's "pay now or pay later" thread, I have a question.

What would be the cost of keeping Botch for next season? I really think you'll see Dooley-like attendance numbers throughout the season, and a lot of lost revenue. He's lost any kind of goodwill he had last year.

No big program has him as a top option, so firing seems imminent. The only question in regards to that is "when?". What's the point of keeping him for another year?

2. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

It's a great question and I'd be curious to hear some good response on this.

Not related to money, but a big thing for me is what it's gonna cost us in recruiting and rosterwise for the next coach? Does this impact who we can get if we wait until the end of next year?

3. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

The two are intertwined really. Money from the program and getting better recruits go hand in hand even if the two are not directly related.

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

4. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

(Without looking at the schedule) I think the early season games will sellout, but those numbers will be soft. After two losses we're down to 65k. I'm sure people will get hyped again in the offseason, but season tickets will surely be down.

The biggest loss will be the two years of recruiting and roster turnover.

5. BigOrangeBeech

Oh I get that, I was just kind of adding to the question so to speak. I think both areas are affecred greatly if we keep him another year. If we make a great hire, we will make it back in short order no doubt, on the recruiting trail too.

6. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Bowl game outcome could sway a few people back on board or cause a lot to jump ship, in my opinion.

7. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

And it isn't $10mill we need to look at, but just $2mill difference between firing now and this time next year. I cannot believe that there will not be at least a two mill loss in game revenue next year or at least close to it.

8. LittleDTO

LittleDTO New Member

We can crunch the numbers all day. However, what is the plan on bringing in a new coach? What coach would that be? Would that coach be a significant upgrade over butch and crew?

I don't want him here just as much as the next guy, however, unless we have a plan in place to get Gruden or Chip Kelly, I don't have confidence in an upgrade this late in the process.

9. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

If UT can't hire a big name right now then just cancel the Neyland upgrades. Non elite programs don't need elite facilities

10. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

The majority of social media comments are still negative. I would imagine that a turnout of 30,000 to the Music City bowl might help a little. What was the UT attendance in Dooley's first year? Seems like it was mostly full and mostly orange.

11. BigOrangeBeech

Shut it all down

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

Seriously. Just leave it all in the bank.

13. BigOrangeBeech

Leaving that all up to Blackburn, assuming he gets the job. Hopefully he'll bring everything together to make it happen.

14. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

MCB will do well since they got Nebraska as the opponent.

15. juicemane

juicemane Member

It's never been that they can't. But for whatever reason, they won't.

16. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I'd comment on how it was, but I umm, I don't really recall the game, alcohol and all.

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk