Couple of Random Notes From the Coaches Camp

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Apr 13, 2012.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

Can you imagine being your average CB lining up against Clear? That would be zero fun. Maybe a good side to run to as well.

2. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

If Clear is really getting honest comparisons to Leonard Pope he will be a beast in this offense.

3. Snakeonia

Snakeonia Active Member

From what I hear Clear is a beast who is fast. Someone on the Basilio show said that if he keeps improving that he could be a first rounder one day

4. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I just wonder how much we can read into what offensive sets and whatnot they're throwing out in spring practice. Defense I can see being more representative of what they'll actually run because they're learning a new system.

5. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

I have thought about that too.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

You play how you practice.

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Straight line speed is decent but his agility and quickness separate him from the rest. He can cut and change directions like a 200 lb guy.

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Sets won't change but personnel will

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

Are you saying we've been practicing soft the last few years leading to injury? Or are you saying we practice hard to play hard, and just happen to get injuries.

Because we haven't looked super physical during some of these injury-ridden years.

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

You practice soft, you'll play soft. You play soft, you get hurt. Kiffin's year here was some of the most physical practices ever held in Knoxville. He lost two guys to fluke ACL injuries (Nick's leg getting caught and Savion's knee getting whipped around). Other than that, injuries didn't really play a large part.

Dooley's hands were tied somewhat his first year here because there was literally no second string. His second year, they seemed to look like a soft, out of shape weak football team.

The best way to stay healthy is to hit the other guy harder than they hit you. You can practice that.

11. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Didn't Gerald Jones and Denarius Moore miss a decent amount of time in 2009? I think Greg King and Lamont Thompson were also injured.

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Was Jones ever healthy for a full season? I don't remember Moore being anything serious. 09 was the only time King stayed healthy longer than two weeks.

Thompson had a neck injury but only missed one or two games didn't he? He started 11 of 13 games.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

If you do that, doesn't that mean half the people practicing are still subject to injury?

14. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Good points. I wouldn't argue against the physical practices anyway. Sounded like it really lit a fire under the players. I remember the coaches not being able to get them off the field after practice. Now we've got guys that don't want to make a bowl so they can avoid another month of Dooley's "shit".

15. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

With rosters upwards of 100 people good college football teams simply can't worry about injuries. Outside of the QB, losing a player -- even a star -- doesn't fundamentally change a season. If you're good, like the Vols were when they lost a Chuck Webb, or Jamal Lewis, or even Jerry Colquitt for that matter, you still manage. If you're not a good football team it is easy to point your finger at the guys you didn't have and say, "if only we had..."

16. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Great point.

Although I'll argue losing Colquitt did drastically change that season.

17. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

True. But not too often will you be replacing a fifth year senior QB with a true freshman. That was just a combo of bad luck and planning.

18. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

He was initially replaced with a junior........

I still think if he's healthy that team contends for an SEC title.

19. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Yeah, I meant on the planning thing you probably ought to have another option at QB other than one guy with experience and a couple of freshmen.

20. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Being able to lose Jamal Lewis and win a national championship is not being a good football team, it's being an absurdly good football team. Teams that are in the top 25 more often than not usually still struggle with replacing one or two transcendent talents. I know Georgia had a rough year in 2010, but look at what their offense produced with AJ Green. Then look what happened when he came back. Even if we had a good team last year, we would not be able to lose Hunter and not skip a beat. That we didn't just made it worse.