COVID-19 (artist formerly known as Wuhan strain novel Corona virus)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jan 28, 2020.

1. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

You do realize that science is always one discovery away from rewriting everything, right? It's never settled and moves where the data takes it. There's a difference in pulling something out of your ass and basing a hypothesis on behaviors that appear similar based on the information available at that time.

We expect steadfast consistency from our politicians, but science by its very nature is fluid and goes where the data takes it. Also peer reviewing papers over twitter is a pretty new phenomenon and one that hopefully will not last . In the past, most of these discussions usually didn't happen in a public spotlight. This leads to mass confusion for the average joe, and is rocket fuel for the conspiracy theorists.

SetVol13, NorrisAlan and IP like this.
  2. IP

IP Super Moderator

Well, the CDC sparked these stories by stating that the way transmission has been occurring has mostly been person to person. They've been clear that their guidance regarding surfaces, however, hasn't changed: https://www.npr.org/sections/corona...e-spread-of-covid-19-has-not-changed-cdc-says

You may check their guidance using a webarchive surface, they have always had "hours to days." Still do.

Do I have to bump all of your wrong prognostications every day? 100k. You were saying 4k would die all year. you were saying it was basically the flu. You've been right about nothing, but have never failed to find a way to pat yourself on the back. I asked this and never got an answer: what number of deaths would make you pause and say, gee, I guess it really is a big deal? It isn't 100k. So 150k? 200k? 500k? 1 million? Do a million people have to die before you think it is a serious public problem worthy of your participation in addressing? Or will you try and claim that those people don't *really* exist or would "die anyway?"

Fauci is helping to navigate a pandemic of a novel (look that word up, it may explain why you feel there is a lack of certainty on information) virus. He's mostly accurately predicted the course of that pandemic here in the US in the face of dipshits calling it the flu or less over the same time period. If Fauci is a [uck fay]ing idiot, what the hell are you?

I'm fairly confident that 2 million Americans could die and you'll just claim the number is fake, unless someone you know dies and then it will be probably Fauci's fault or something.

3. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Someone was claiming 2 week surface survival?

Seems like pretty early on we knew it was around 24 hours on cardboard and 3 days or less on smooth plastic or metal.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  4. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

These also aren't mutually exclusive phenomenon. Something can exist on surfaces for a period of days and still be hard to transmit.

The CDC, using the Harvard study as a guide, is saying they're not seeing surface transmission as a main cause--but that doesn't mean it is zero risk. Just not a main cause. And survival on surface for 3 days, in lab conditions (like 72 degrees and a specific humidity) on plastics and hard metal, might not be true of 90 degrees.

But that doesn't make it not true of the 72 degrees.

5. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

You are a clown. I cant even discuss Fauci being all over the place since day 1 without you turning it into something else or that i dont care. Youve repeated that shit several times about me. Gutsy, caillou.

Last edited: May 25, 2020
  6. Ssmiff

Sure but now it appears a couple of clowns dont like discussions of those people being wrong. As if they are right because they hold a title.
    Fauci has been all over the place and it should be ok to say it. But not here. If hes the one in the know, give me somebody else.

7. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

I remember one study saying it found remnants of it on a surface 14 days later, but it was doubtful you could catch it from that trace amount.

It was the BIG HEADLINE - little story for half a day early on.

justingroves likes this.
  8. Ssmiff

I recall early on warnings of the possibility you could get cv off a surface in 2 weeks and a cruise ship with the virus 17 days after people left the room.

9. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I believe they detected virus on surfaces for that long, but I believe PCR can sometimes replicate dead virus strands. If the right fragments were there it can be a hit. So further study is needed to understand if you risk infection from presence of “virus”.

Ssmiff likes this.
  10. peelwonder

peelwonder Member

Good luck arguing with some of these guys. I tried to play the logic card and it went nowhere.

11. Ssmiff

Hes accused me of not caring about the virus and intentionally infecting people. Hes a weak, weak person, mentally and physically.

12. SetVol13

SetVol13 Contributor

Says the person who can't admit when he's wrong.

13. Ssmiff

dude im wrong all the time. One of the few around here. You defending him accusing me of intentionally trying to get people sick which could result in death says a little about yourself. Quite a bit actually. Too biased to see bullshit.

14. SetVol13

SetVol13 Contributor

I know I'm a dumbass, but this dumbass knows that Dr. Fauci doesn't serve 6 different Presidents unless he cuts through the bullshit and does his job. You have said some pretty outlandish stuff on here that has no basis of fact. I copied the wrong post. You are the only one talking about intentionally infecting people. For some reason, you can't seem to let that line go.

15. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

How has Fauci been all over the place? He's certainly more on the side of caution than I am, though I don't feel there is an ocean between us.

16. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Seems like a pretty bad mischaracterization. You argued with one poster about the applications of various analogies to the current pandemic. It seems like you and he were on the same page on several points right before that.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

That's some serious projection, man. See a shrink.

18. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I think it's pretty obvious at this point that Smiff is patient zero.

NYY likes this.
  19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

IP did go to Thailand...

20. Ssmiff

Yes and ive spent the last 5 months trying to infect as many people as possible, because thats the type of person i am, per ip.
    Excuse me, 8 months. I had a headache in october.