COVID-19 (artist formerly known as Wuhan strain novel Corona virus)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

If they self quarantine after the party, they’re doing a social good.

2. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

How? How is one person being infected a social good?

One person doesn't move the needle on immunity. One person doesn't move the needle on helping identify spread.

3. fl0at_

I mean hell, if this is like any other virus that is cleared, that person can still get it again, and still spread it again, when they don't know to quarantine.

4. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

If they’re having parties so they’ll be infected, that moves the community closer to having herd immunity and is a good thing. If they responsibly keep it away from high risk individuals, after the party.

I believe that we should be doing that before flu season as fast and safely as possible.

5. fl0at_

I absolutely encourage you to go get it, and then stay in a hotel. Do it for your community... but only you.

6. fl0at_

Herd immunity isn't something that is walked up. It happens when vast amounts of people get immunity at damn near the same time.

And until there is herd immunity, prior infections can continue to bat the thing around, because it can jump around.

The safe and responsible way to build herd immunity is through vaccination.

7. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Anything that could potentially eliminate a Bama fan from the gene pool is a social good and you all are arguing about the Rona.

justingroves likes this.
  8. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

And that may never happen so the next best way is those with the lowest chance of a negative out come getting the virus while remaining away from high risk individuals.

9. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

We've gotta get a lot of people sick to protect people from getting sick.

I'm down.

10. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Same amount of people will likely be infected no matter what due to it being so prevalent now.

We just get to control time line and risk pools now due to testing and being aware.

Sweden probably had it correct but just failed to protect their nursing homes from workers at the start.

Their nursing homes are full of extremely sick/elderly bed stricken individuals with works that work in numerous facilities that carried it in

11. fl0at_

No, the best way is to slow the spread through social distancing and mask wearing, and general adult behavior, to bring cases as low as possible. Like every other civilized country on the planet.

12. fl0at_

Sweden's entire population is the size of LA county. LA county has more coronavirus cases than Sweden, and the same number of deaths. Do you think LA is protected? If yes... really? If no, then why do you think Sweden is?

13. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Without seeing testing rates I’d say Sweden has more community spread that hasn’t been caught in low risk pools that LA doesn’t have and is working towards since it was more severely locked down

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

This is complete speculation. There is no evidence to support this.

15. fl0at_

Haven't you been talking about all the unknown positives, even going so far as to quote an article on sewage?

So Sweden has more community spread, and Erie, PA does too... but not LA county?

16. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Not really speculation.

They just recently ramped up testing which makes it look like cases are spiking but they're just now finding it in younger populations that wasn't being tested before.

While icu and deaths are going down.

17. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I thought that was just an interesting article at how researchers are extremely looking outside the box to try to find asystematic cases.

That's why I said it'd be crazy if true not that it was true.

18. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

There are a number of researchers that thinks 20ish% infected is the sweet spot for herd immunity unless the population is extremely elderly

That seems to be true on most cases of spread in closed environments like cruise ships, navy ships and whatnot from what I was reading.

19. fl0at_

It's an interesting article, but bad science.

What I'm getting at though is LA county is already 4x Sweden's cases.

Most metrics for the untested, asymptomatic "true" case load is 10x the cases, yes?

So that means LS county is at 2.4ish million, of its 10 million population. Aka, 24%.

Likewise, for Sweden to be at similar numbers, their "true" infection rate would need to be 36x their case load, give or take.

The math just doesn't work. LA isn't at herd immunity. Sweden isn't either. They just have a smaller population is a larger area.

20. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator