COVID-19 (artist formerly known as Wuhan strain novel Corona virus)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Wait you just told me they had high usage of mask wearing because they trust their governments.

while that’s not true.

but while not wearing mask at extremely high levels have kept the spread low.

They also didn’t say they would for sure implement mask that they’d just look into it if cases increased that they want more research on their effectiveness

2. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

I didn't say they had high mask usage, I said they follow government. Try to read what is written, not what you think is written. When their governments recommend, they follow. They don't have to mandate. So lack of a mandate isn't proof of anything.

No. Sweden said that.

Denmark: "Danish health officials began cautiously recommending using masks in early July—such as when going to the hospital for a test or when you are coming back from a risk area. "Face covers don't make sense in the current situation, where we have a consistently very low level of infection," Soren Brostrom, director of the Danish Health Authority, told broadcaster DR on Tuesday."

Norway: "Similarly, in Norway and Finland, although there is "no opposition in principle," masks are deemed an unnecessary precaution while the spread is low."It may be something that will have to be considered in the near future if the contamination increases," Are Stuwitz Berg, a doctor with the Norwegian Institute of Public Health, told AFP."

Finland: "Mika Salminen, director of Health Security at the Finnish Institute for Health and Welfare, told broadcaster YLE the issue would likely resurface "when people begin to return from holidays to a greater extent, and of course if the epidemic situation changes radically.""

Iceland: "Iceland—which like its neighbours have so far sworn off masks—announced that it would start requiring their use on public transport, domestic flights, ferries and in hairdressing salons. "

All the information was in the article. All you had to do was go left to right, top to bottom, groups of words for sentences, aspirin for any headaches.

3. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

There was a study back last month that said neck gaiters were trash. The organization I work for shared it and adopted it as their opinion. I have it somewhere buried in my email. Before the week was up, they did an about face on that opinion. Apparently there was conflicting information, but the consensus now is that they work as well as other cloth masks.

4. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I’m not wearing anything called a gator gbo vfl

Unimane, cpninja and NorrisAlan like this.
  5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

6. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Wow. You’ve got to be kidding me.

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Still odd they wouldn't release the numbers, just for transparency reasons but it's a terrible mistake reporting wise

8. TennTradition

I was bothered by the reporting when reading the one email they did show and then reading how they reported on it. I kept asking, “what’s the cover up?”

It still isn’t clear to me - what did they withhold? Just the cases per individual bars due to their data release standards?

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Pretty much, the question has been asked a few times about contact tracing and how many cases come from bars and the answer was always vague.

10. TennTradition

But they did release that total number - at least it was reported in early August. And the journalist said “the number you gave me” (in other words the officials gave the number) though Fox Nashville referred to it as rumored, which I found odd.

Someome here was saying the issue was they didn’t release the 26 number back in June but Fox Nashville didn’t show those emails for me to see what happened there.

11. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

Rule of thumb: anything Trump and his close allies accuse others of doing (in this case, manipulating COVID reporting and coverage for political reasons), you can nearly guarantee they are actively pursuing doing it or already doing it, or having to deal with it internally. See: voting twice, voter fraud, profiting off of insider information with stocks, all of the sex stuff, all the foreign deals, accusing others of having some physical problem or taking medication, "deep state" manipulations, etc. Every time.

Unimane likes this.
  13. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Journalism 101. Release bombshell story with shock headline. Quietly walk it back later.

TennTradition likes this.
  14. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Welp, Europe is heading the wrong direction sharply in places. The seven day case rate has really shot up in the last few weeks overall, but France, Belgium, and the Netherlands are either worse than the US or getting close to it. Spain has been a mess for a while now. The UK seems to be heading that way as well. I've gone from hoping to travel some this fall thinking it wouldn't be so bad if Germany closed its borders again for a while.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

people keep thinking it just went away.

16. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I don’t think this is fair.

measures weren’t to stop or to decrease overall cases but to spread them out over a longer period of time to not over run healthcare capabilities.

number of cases isn’t going to change till a vaccine or herd immunity is reached naturally.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

but some have been speculating that herd immunity was around the corner since May.

18. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

and herd immunity is at play in a lot of places but places that locked down heavily will see spread once they reopen.

Lockdowns don’t stop the virus only the spread of it.

19. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I dont think people think it went away. Imo more than likely they dont believe the hype and are moving on.
    This coming 3 month flu season will kill more kids than covid has in 9 months.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

california positive test rate below 3% for the first time, that's great news. it may help free up resources for other places as well, given that California is more than a tenth of the US population.