COVID-19 (artist formerly known as Wuhan strain novel Corona virus)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jan 28, 2020.

1. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

How, exactly, would the CDC and/or government push it? It is administrated by hospitals, which are private organizations.

Sure, if we had public hospitals, but people don't seem to want that.

The Dooz and emainvol like this.
  2. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Couldn’t tell you. I just know it’s been available in some capacity since at least late November in Mid TN

3. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Why wouldn't they is the better question. They push masks, vaccines and let people know they don't think hcq and other treatments work. Wtf is wrong with touting something that does. Has fauci mentioned the treatment?

4. fl0at_

The government can't push treatments. They can't push vaccines. They aren't pushing this one now. Saying the government is pushing this vaccine is like saying people push drugs. This vaccine, like drugs, will sell itself. They can caution against certain treatments, because that is in their purview. But even as they cautioned against HCQ, doctors were prescribing it.

Yes, Fauci has talked about the monoclonal antibody. Everyone has; even I have, in this thread. It is a known commodity by anyone that has paid attention. But that doesn't mean people can get it.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

I wonder if it is in short supply, so they don't use it because they can't get more easily? total speculation on my part

6. Ssmiff

way too many people have died since November, including several I know, and didn't have this as an option. I doubt supply is short, since not many overall have taken the treatment. Have had several I know with severe cases, but were just told to stay home, check their oxygen, rest and water. No other option for treatment. Total cluster[uck fay] imo.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

I agree that every drop available should have gone to someone, and this whole situation should be investigated.

8. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

This is not to sound condescending, but the CDC is the Center for Disease Control and Prevention. Guidelines that recommend masks and vaccines are given to government at all levels so that they can make decisions on how to approach the control and prevention of disease within their jurisdictions.

Recommendations against the use or misuses or particular treatments that could potentially be harmful would also be within scope.

They don’t have any enforcement power, they just have varying degrees of influence amongst governmental bodies.

The FDA has powers to approve the use of treatments, which they have done in the case of the monoclonal antibodies. From there it’s up to doctors and hospitals to procure and to utilize those treatments where they are needed.

Float is right in that these treatments have been discussed by some of the more visible scientists and doctors out there, including Fauci.

9. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

TLDR;

Like float said, the CDC and FDA are doing things within their scope, from there it’s all on the private healthcare system and (mostly) the state and local governments. The approach has been disjointed as hell thus far

10. fl0at_

Depends on the age, if they were 65 and older, or with pre-existing conditions, and they were within 10 days of a positive test, and were not seeking hospitalization, it was an option.

Basically, in order to get it, you have to call around as soon as you have a positive test, and get it set up to get the infusion.

If you wait until you feel like shit and go to the hospital, you are no longer eligible to receive. It's too late, then.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

seems like trump did not have it presented to him until he was in a bad way, granted that was seemingly all ad hoc.

12. Ssmiff

What a condescending [Penis]

2Maggitt2Quit and emainvol like this.
  13. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Yeah, this is how my grandparents, brother, aunts and uncles were all told to handle it.

Worked for all of them except one.

14. fl0at_

You have to be given the infusion at a hospital, so, he was taken to a hospital. He wasn't in a bad way, and he got it pretty quickly after a positive test.

15. fl0at_

A thing to keep in mind, if Johnson & Johnson gets approved.

You're going to hear a lot, from no vac'ers, and others, that it is only 66% effective.

Yes, it is only 66% effective at preventing illness, but it's 100% effective at preventing hospitalizations and deaths.

IP and TennTradition like this.
  16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

You sure?

17. fl0at_

Unless something has changed, the last I read, was that no-one who received the dose was hospitalized, or worse.

So, while the numbers are small samples in trial, and there is no telling with broader sample... the data says that those who contract the illness don't end up progressing to worse. That'll change, some small measure, but 99% effective against hospitalizations and death is still pretty good.

18. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Ok. It was 100% effective in its trial.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

When taken as directed. I am sure you could fill a sack with vials of the vaccine and beat someone to death with it, which would mean that it is not 100% effective in preventing hospitalization or death in a broader sense. That is something to talk about with your doctor, if they are considering administering a lifetime dose bolus via pillow case.

20. fl0at_

Shelby County bungling this about as well as they can. Today, Shelby County Schools released an email, apparently, saying that there were excess vaccines that needed to given out.

And then when Shelby County, all of it, showed up, it turns out, no, that is not correct. And then they issued a tweet to correct? Something like that.

Any way, I believe some folks resigned today.