COVID-19 (artist formerly known as Wuhan strain novel Corona virus)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jan 28, 2020.

1. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Nothing in life is a certainty, but I prefer having the percentages in my favor rather than against me.

I've been in 2 stores since May 2020. Only time I leave my farm is for doctor's visits & driving my daughter to school when my wife is working. I haven't been inside a Walmart, grocery store or restaurant in a year & a half.

2. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Aren't the vaccinated still carriers and spreaders of the new variants?

3. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Yes. But the thought is that as long as a large enough percentage remains unvaccinated, we will continue to see new variants form and spread, whereas, if everyone got vaccinated, that would stop.

4. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

That’s kind of my point. I don’t know that it’s a certainty that getting everyone vaccinated truly pushes the percentages in your favor.

The second part actually sounds… kinda nice. Though I’m sure it’s different if it’s not by choice.

5. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Okay. I guess you’re better than me at google. So lay those numbers on me.

6. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

A few key things that stand out in my mind about Jacobson v Massachusetts after reading into it a bit:
    • that mandate was for individuals directly, while Biden’s mandate uses private industry to force people’s hands. I’m not really a fan of that.
    • the mandate was for the smallpox vaccine, which had been around for over 100 years. So just a little bit longer than COVID.
    • It wasn’t like after he lost, they held him down and stuck a needle in his arm. Anyone who refused to vaccinate faced a fine of $5, which I’ve read is the equivalent of $150 in today’s money. I don’t think you’d hear many people complaining about that. The $14k a head that government is pushing on companies though? That’s a bit more steep.

7. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Missed this amongst the flurry of other posts.

Define “hitting.” I’m not super worried about kids just getting it. Hospitalizations are problematic, and deaths are terrible.

Do we know what percentage of children who are diagnosed with the delta variant end up in the hospital? End up dying? What percentage of those have underlying conditions?

The majority of 20 and 30 somethings had the chance to get vaccinated. I’m not super sympathetic to those who opt not to get it and then face severe infection. They should know what the signed up for.

8. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Significantly, significantly less.

JayVols and IP like this.
  9. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Guy in my D&D group buried a good friend of his this weekend from COVID. Not vaccinated, whole family is super against vaccination. 41 years old, dead, with a family left behind.

My friend didn't even stay for the funeral very long because no one in the whole place was masked (and most likely not vaccinated) and the widow was hugging everyone she met. Next to her COVID dead husband.

He is pretty torn up about it and pissed off. I have never seen my friend this mad before.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

indy won't be convinced unless it affects him. then he will be outraged.

11. JayVols

And that's why we are where we are today. Too much of that.

SetVol13 and Daddy Gee like this.
  12. JayVols

Sorry for your friend having to go through this grief.

It didn't have to be this way.

13. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

No idea what makes you think that. My stance has been very consistent.

14. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

That's what makes him think that: consistently ignorant, while questioning the things that have solid answers.

JayVols likes this.
  15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

my buddy’s father in law has pancreatic cancer and somehow has survived 2 years and there’s a new treatment that his doctor is recommending and he can’t get into the hospital because of Covid cases. Guy could literally die in the meantime

16. fl0at_

Soon as kids can get stuck it can get 100% lethal for the unvaccinated, and the only ones I'll feel for are the kids whose parents let them die. But not a thing for the rest.

utvol0427 and JayVols like this.
  17. fl0at_

That sucks man. Can he head to Nevada or something?

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

that's awful. hard to track these things but I am hearing these experiences a lot. My wife has a friend that had an unexpected medical emergency that resulted in her having her twins early and being catatonic for days... as soon as she was off a breathing tube they were trying to ship her out to free up space, when normally they'd keep her for a month under the circumstances (their words).

droski likes this.
  19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i think he’s getting in soon, but every day counts obviously

JayVols likes this.
  20. fl0at_

Especially with pancreatic cancer. Hope he gets in soon.

JayVols likes this.