Crucial Few Days For UT.

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by hatvol96, Oct 6, 2012.

1. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

If Duke can't swing Nichols on his official visit, it should be all but a done deal.

2. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Memphis poster seem to think he stays home, but it appears more like wishful thinking on their part. Of course, I would love nothing more than to dash the hopes of that crew, the biggest pieces of shit around.

Anyway, if Martin can sway to kids away from Duke and K in a period of two months, all criticism of his recruiting should be dead and buried.

3. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Hat,

What's the immediate and long-term impact if Cuonzo completes this class with Nichols?

I know that these are "good / great" players, but for the casual fan like myself, I have no ability to quantify what that means, really.

So, what does this mean, both on the court and off, for us, in your opinion?

Some specific questions:
    1. Would this class put us in the range of regularly challenging Kentucky for the conference?

2. Does it mean that Cuonzo is going to be able to routinely attract this sort of talent here, or is this such a good class as to be an unfair expectation, going forward?

3. If these players are as good as advertised and develop as they should, what's the ceiling you'd place them at, insofar as being an "X" win per season team / ranked / tourney seeded....immediate (freshman) and further (year 2, 3, etc.)?

I'll hang up and listen.

4. PoochPunt3rdDown

PoochPunt3rdDown Troll Guru

He's not going to Memphis. That would be stupid. He is not stupid. Unfortunately, he is smart and that's why the Duke visit has me concerned.

5. hatvol96

Unless Tennessee, Duke, Vanderbilt, Virginia, and Auburn drop basketball, he's not going to Memphis.

MaconVol likes this.
  6. hatvol96

1. Hubbs and Nichols are the kind of players you have to recruit to win big. The problem with competing with Kentucky for a regular season SEC title is that they are on a recruiting run that is unprecedented in the modern era.

2. There are never any guarantees in recruiting, but great players draw other great players. Getting Hubbs and Nichols makes it more likely than not he can keep adding elite talent.

3. If Stokes returns for his junior season Tennessee would almost certainly be a preseason Top 5-10 team. Elite talent should get you in the
    25 win, top 16 seed level most every year.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  7. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

Do you think Stokes actually stays for his JR season?

8. hatvol96

That will be wholly dependent on what kind of season he has.

9. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

So it is a double edge sword kind of situation, have a great season and leave or stay if it is mediocre.

10. hatvol96

If he has a great season and goes to the NBA, that becomes just one more card Cuonzo can play in recruiting.

11. hatvol96

I think it would take a truly exceptional season for him to enter the draft. He could be very productive and still return.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

It never hurts to put guys in the NBA.

13. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

Hat,

Heard any early reports on Nichols coming out of this trip?

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

And if that happens, I have faith counzo can recruit an able bodied replacement

15. hatvol96

Nothing to this point, which I will consider good news.

16. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

Looks like the sister is putting in work

17. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

If I'd known where he'd be and when, I'd have been pretty tempted to swing by Duke decked out in orange and offer him a "Go Vols"

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

Whoa there, Sab.

19. dknash

dknash Chieftain

That what the kids are calling it these days?

20. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

walked right into that one.