Dalton Santos Vol For A Couple Months

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Vols kick balls, Aug 5, 2011.

1. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

I think he will be an awesome run stopper for us. He already has the size, strength, and aggressiveness to play MLB. I'm curious to see how the coaching staff will utilize him since he's almost identical in size to AJ. I think his speed will determine a lot to be honest. A 3-4 scheme is starting to enter my mind...not sure if that's a good thing or bad.

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I see Santos being a special teams ace and a guy that can come in, let AJ rest and not see much of a drop off. He's not taking a starting job immediately (if he does, he's either a legit future NFL starter or someone's hurt). If he's just a badass from the start, he could get a lot of snaps in the middle, Lathers and AJ outside and Curt goes to DE but I think that's unreasonable myself.

Tennessee lacks the size to use a 3-4 much. I can see it being used in certain situations.

3. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

I don't think he'll take a starting job immediately either. Everything I've read on him suggests he's a pure downhill run stopper and needs work on his coverage skills. I could see him contributing a lot against run-heavy teams next year, I'm just not sure where. That's why I think his speed will determine a lot. If he can progress quickly on his speed and cover skills I think he'll see a lot of playing time next year.

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I hope so. He can no doubt bring the hammer on people. Worst case scenario with him, I think, is he'll be a backup and special teams player for 2 years and eventually break into the starting lineup.

5. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

6. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

That's pretty fast for being that big.

7. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Yep

8. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Ohio State is making a run at pig, too

9. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Our chances of holding on to him are rapidly decreasing.

10. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

wrong. The kid just stated that he wasn't going to waste an unofficial visit with no D Coordinator or LBs coach. That's common sense. I guarantee if Sal is secure Santos might A. change his mind and buy a plane ticket today or B. have a certain brand new D Coord make a visit to see him this week. I would think it would be priority #1, even before setting up his office.

11. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

In fact I'm already hearing that Dooley already contacted Santos and he might come up with his father this weekend now and CSS is supposed to visit either Monday or Tuesday.

12. govols74n

govols74n New Member

Santos getting cold feet

Im reading shit on espn and some SEC blogs stating that Santos may be heading to GA due to the coaching changes.....better reel this kid back in!

13. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

He's been recruiting for us. I doubt he goes elsewhere.

14. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

From what I understand, Sunseri will be visiting him today. If things don't go well then he'll likely take an OV to UGA. A couple of reasons why he's not heading to UGA (at least right now):

1. UGA is late to the dance
    2. If he doesn't come to Tennessee, he'll likely end up at A&M

15. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I watched a little of the Army All American game and thought Santos looked really good. Seemed to get around a make tackles moreso than just as a run stuffer. Hope we hang onto him.

16. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

From our good friends at VQ:

Santos: "I like the hell out of coach Sal. He has that swagger and he sounds like the real deal. I knew him a little bit from before and I'm excited to get up there and knock some heads off."

17. Smowkee

Smowkee New Member

Sounds like the coaching change won't be a factor

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm so desperate for success, I want to believe things can be different next year despite all logic pointing otherwise.

19. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

I'm right there with you. I honestly believe that the talent gap we had has closed fast.

20. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

How many tackles did he have in the AA Game?