Data Management

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by TennTradition, Apr 17, 2019.

1. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

I’d much rather spend a little bit more to have peace of mind of knowing I won’t have to worry about downloading shit again.

2. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Wouldn’t want to stress your fiber connection by using it...

3. InVolNerable

I only have 150/10.

4. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

With Nextcloud, are you referring to my questions about how best to auto-file share from my phone?

Or, are you talking about for setting up my offline backup?

I’m capable at this stuff but not good. So if willing you might have to lead me to water.

5. fl0at_

I didn’t see anything about auto-sharing, in the original post... I’m not sure what that is. I would think that would just be syncing, which you don’t want.

But Nextcloud/Owncloud can handle backing up your phones(s).

I say you don’t want syncing, because deletions on your phone or backup could delete on it’s sister component, which is data loss.

You want one way movement, that is always copy, from phone to backup.

6. TennTradition

Yes - when it comes to my phones, that’s all I really want - to push all photos to either backup or to my machine then backup as normal from there (preferred). I would like to do that without having to plug my phone in - preferably automatically, but I could set a reminder on my phone to manually push it.

Is it that portion of the backup that nextcloud would relate to?

When you mentioned it you were quoting the message I wrote about unplugging my external hard drive from my machine so that it could sit offline - so I wasn’t sure if you were mentioning it as a means of offline backup or for phone management.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

Some of y'all really do data.

8. fl0at_

No, just stream of consciousness on the topic. But... if you had a separate router, with USB capability, you could (theoretically) set up a an external drive, and that could be your "offline" drive, if you could write a bit of code and only allowed outbound (pull) connections to the device (this is more for me than you... but I bet you could do it, just probably don't have the desire to).

At any rate, yes. NAS + Owncloud/Nextcloud would connect to your phone, once it jumped on network, and pull whatever folders you've configured. The configuration for the server side is not simple, but you only have to do it once.

I'm not there yet, but I've been playing with the following in a homelab:

1. Scan all devices on network (all devices on my network that are mine are static IP'd, and grouped by function. 30-69 is IoT, 70s is servers, 80s is my stuff, 90s wife, 100s reserved for kid, etc) for file changes based on hash
    2. Any differences and they go to NAS, and then onward to offsite.

What I'd like to get to eventually is a consolidation at end of month, and purge individual files off the offsite, and replace with a single compressed file, such that:

Week 1: 10234.jpg, 10235.jpg, 10236.jpg
    Week 2: File1.docx, File2.docx
    Week 3: 10237.jpg
    Week 4: File3.docx

EOM: 04172019.zip (encrypted) -> (10234.jpg, 10235.jpg, 10236.jpg, File1.docx, File2.docx, 10237.jpg, File3.dox)

This doesn't exactly help you, but if I ever get it done, I can share the code with you, if you go a similar route.

9. fl0at_

I’ve fried two SSDs, and a desktop this calendar year. Don’t know how. But, since things break around me, I tend to overly backup.

10. TennTradition

That would be a sweet set up. Just the scan and pull alone would be big.

As for the offline, I do have an extra netgear router with a USB port that I could hook the external hard drive up to. I really like that, actually. Seems pretty clean if it would allow me to push automatic backups. One problem is I’m just using the free windows scheduler for my external he backups right now. But I don’t have Windows Pro so I can’t backup to network locations. Since I have the external hd connected physically right now that isn’t an issue. So if I tried the router approach I might need to get a different program to handle the backups. Thoughts on that?

Can you explain the traffic in that setup a bit more to me. The code would restrict so that traffic could only go to the external hd? Would ransomware not be able to be pushed to it?

When you get attacked, does it also get pushed to your cloud backup? Why don’t they just let it lie dormant for a few weeks so it also gets pushed to your offline in case you have one?

11. InVolNerable

Amazon Drive does this.

12. InVolNerable

My Qnap NAS also has an auto phone backup add-on that I put on there.

13. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

[​IMG]

Tenacious D likes this.
  14. reVOLt

reVOLt Contributor

Use iCloud for photos....I also copy to a NAS for photos and videos and I sync the photos to Amazon and the videos to a SSD.

So 2 clouds and 1 onsite for photos and 2 onsite for videos.

I'm [uck fay]ed on the videos if I have a fire.

I believe Google Cloud is also doing backup of some sort.... I haven't figured out how they've weaseled into my data life....[uck fay]ers.

15. TennTradition

I liked the idea of Amazon drive but we use Live Photo a lot so the free photo backup doesn’t help as much (as far as I can tell these are regarded as movies).

16. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

This is where I’m at - I use iCloud.

And now, I feel completely inadequate in my situation, but in an entirely new and unexpected way.

17. fl0at_

Do you know the app, or is it proprietary for Qnap?

18. fl0at_

Eh. Windows Home kind of complicates. Can that version of Windows share a folder? If so... then it could work.

So what I would think for the router would be this:

Put ddwrt on the router, and set up Iptables to not allow any incoming connections. Then setup a schedule to go grab files from shared folders that are designated on each machine, and copy them over to the external drive.

Since that drive is just pulling files, and doesn’t really have any way to execute code, I don’t think ransomeware could hit it, even laying dormant.

But, I’m talking files, not complete backups of my computer. Because I don’t care about Windows system files, and programs I’ve installed, I can redo those. I just want my files.

If you ask nice enough, Invol might give you a link where you can download in a package just about every application you likely use.

Wipe drive, install Windows, run that package, bring files back over from external drive, done.

19. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Since we are talking icloud.

I store all of mine from my phone on there. But when I delete from my phone it removes them from icloud. So basically I have 4,000 pictures on my phone, mostly of Tenny, that I can't free up storage on my phone in fear it'll delete from icloud.

Anyway around this, tech dudes?

20. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I know nothing of iCloud, but I do think perhaps you should pick your favorite 1000 pictures of Tenny and delete the rest. Otherwise you risk dehydration.