Daughter's first game in Neyland this Saturday

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by TangoUniform, Nov 16, 2016.

1. TangoUniform

TangoUniform Contributor

Sorry, I'm not sure where to put this... any replies/suggestions are kindly appreciated ---

Although I was there 90-95, I've only been back once for a game and that was two years ago... for the Mizzou game as it so happens.
    This Saturday, though, is the first time I'm going in with kid in tow and I find myself to be somewhat at a loss for wtf to do and such.

She's 9, and quite frankly, I'm trying to plant the seed in her mind that Knoxville is where she needs to be for college... Ideally, this would be the first of several trips to home games over the upcoming years. Would be great to try to do 1 a year until she eventually has to be thinking about that stuff. But I digress..

So anyway, we're making the trip up early Saturday morning (no choice to leave until then) and we can probably be on campus by around noon (coming from Memphis). When I was there 2 years ago, I hardly even recognized the strip. I was planning on parking somewhere near the Fort (close to Clement Hall as possible since I want to show her where I lived), and then we need to eat prior to the game. Any suggestions for on the strip? In the 90s, O'Charleys was down there near the old Library/Lap... but now, I don't even remember what's around in there. Help?

Secondly, how early do they let you into the stadium? And/or how early is shit going on in there? Is it possible to get your kid in there for photo/autograph opportunities? Maybe y'all get the idea..

Obviously I'd really like (need) this to be a nice experience for her as much as possible. Being a single dad sucks and this is really only our second major road trip/excursion/weekend getaway that we've had since she was 2. She's excited about the seeing the stadium in person and especially every Smokey she can catch.

Anyway, if anybody has some suggestions of how to try to do this right, I'd really appreciate it. Approaching the game and campus from this aspect is a new experience for me, too.

-tango

2. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

With a 9 year old, I'd avoid the strip and hit volunteer village. They have some food there and a lot of things I would imagine a 9 year old girl would enjoy. Plus, you are right there for easy access to the Vol Walk and the band marching to the stadium.

3. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Take her to watch the band enter the stadium. That was always one of my favorite things to do.

4. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

this

5. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Park downtown and walk if you can.

Do the volwalk and band.

Vol village is fun for kids.

6. TangoUniform

TangoUniform Contributor

geez.. this is the stuff that's not even crossing my mind. guess i'm a bit nervous about the plan.

where is this volunteer village thing?

..and i forget what time the band starts and the walk begins? ... and where? Ah jeez... ****ing Mizzou fans will know about where to be and when than I do.

7. TangoUniform

TangoUniform Contributor

ahh... should have also guess the utsports website would have some info on all this, too.

8. CardinalVol

It's by humanities. Is there all day.

Typically the gameday schedule is on the utsports website.

9. TangoUniform

TangoUniform Contributor

man, i don't know if I can get her to hoof it from downtown.. plus, never in my life have I walked it from that end. (??)

10. TangoUniform

TangoUniform Contributor

ah ok, great. thanks!

annnnnd... found the map with the band route and such, too.

this is honestly like i've never been to a game on campus before in my life...

11. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

12. CardinalVol

Depending on where you park it's about a mile. And much easier to get out.

13. TangoUniform

TangoUniform Contributor

Thanks for the thoughts... looks like maybe everything we'll need will be at this volunteer village thing...

Cheers,
    -t

14. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Enjoy. It goes by too fast.

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Everything has changed since I was there and I graduated in 2008

16. TangoUniform

TangoUniform Contributor

Honestly, I hope we can make it through at least half the game. Watching it on tv she can get distracted to do other things, but maybe in person will just be different. She sure cheers like a maniac when we score, though, so hopefully we can do that early and often...

... obviously I can't DVR this thing and go give the gf the pickle tickle... got no choice but to stick with the game this time.

praying for a good experience, not too many drunks in our immediate vicinity, and a minimum of bad language. If that all happens, I won't expect anything for Christmas.