Dave Hart

Discussion in 'VOLuminous' started by tvolsfan, Jan 3, 2012.

1. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Where and when did he say this?

2. Jewbaccah

Jewbaccah New Member

He said Dooley was struggling with his decision as he did not know he wanted to go in that direction or something like that...I did not read on VQ read it c/p on FL98. The guys on FL98 who I do believe are not trolling (some there have just jumped on and are trolling) have stated the same in more detail. Dooley might actually be thinking not hiring the best available DC in the country is what is best for UT. Hart is waiting on Dooley from what I understand as is Shannon. Of course all rumors to a degree but these guys have been right on or close for the past 2 years...same guys on V,B before the break off. I am honestly in awe of how bad Dooley is right now. He was not this horrible to start the pressure has got to him. Shannon is a no brainer. You hire and feel good about it. There are some NFL teams that might hire him from christ sakes. I honestly hope this part of rumor is not true and Shannon will be hired. It is simply not possible at this point that we have not been in extensive contact with Shannon. IT would be the most epic troll of all time.

3. Jewbaccah

Jewbaccah New Member

And no jo Hubbs did not say Shannon specifically. He we speaking in generalities as he does. Hubbs post was after the other guys said what I said above. Which matches what Hubbs is talking about. Or am I bat crazy? All is possible.

4. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Didn't FL98 report this as a done deal? Now they're going back and saying that Dooley's struggling with his decision? Which is it. I really haven't been there, but I don't know what to think of them. They broke the Stokes story that pretty much all insiders knew, and I believe they also broke Arnett. But they also broke Hiestand, which was completely false.

5. Jewbaccah

Jewbaccah New Member

I know the original story before MoD wrote it up. The original presser would be Thursday. The tuesday thing was never supposed to be it...people just hoped.

6. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Yeah. I haven't seen Hubbs say anything to that effect. He thinks it will be Steele if he is interested.

7. WM

WM Active Member

Just read a interesting thread on VN from DocVol saying Shannon is all but a done deal.
    Have no idea of his cred but had no idea Palardy's family was well connected.

8. Tar Volon

Right. But presumably this means they're backing away from the Thursday story if they're talking about Dooley struggling with the decision?

9. Tar Volon

That thread is full of detailed information that would make me very, very happy if true, both in that it'd be a huge hire and that it'd raise my opinion of Hart (which is already high). But I have no idea whether a shred of it is credible.

10. Jewbaccah

Jewbaccah New Member

It is not the same source saying that....this rumor, lol as I type this as grown man, is from a guy who is the admin on there used to go by VolSailor...evidently VQ writer Hubbs or Price has been informed and asked to hold off saying anything because of this, but if falls in line with what DocVol is saying about Dooley wanting Steele which is just awful. Steele is not in the same league as Shannon. It is not even close. To add confusion to all this...a press guy tweeted Miami Dolphins are interested in Shannon. Put that in perspective...Shannon NFL at least interviewable...Steele has no NFL interest what so ever. Dooley wants Steele. Dooley is an ass clown if this is true.

11. tennesseevolman

tennesseevolman New Member

Yeah, so we can get La Tech's defensive coordinator? I dont think so.

12. tennesseevolman

Dooley wants a "yes" man that he can micromanage. I dont think that Shannon would allow that to happen. I believe that Shannon might still come because he knows that he could possibly end up as the Head Coach next year, after Dooleys demise!

13. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I don't doubt that your theory is true, but if so, you can't sit and watch that sort of dysfunction play itself out, IMO.

If Shannon is clearly the best guy, and Dooley still doesn't want him - forcing him (Shannon) into that situation is a disservice, and you've got much bigger problems than D-coordinator.

And if you have ideation that Shannon could take over for Dooley, then that's how he needs to be evaluated - as a potential HC. And if you think he's better than Dooley in that regard now, then why try to make him serve as DC for a year or two, when you know he's better than the guy you're asking him to work for?

I hope this makes sense....I'm essentially saying that if you think Shannon would be a better HC than Dooley, then slotting him as DC is screwing you at both positions.

14. tennesseevolman

I guess when I look at how much Shannon would cost us, compared to Dooleys salary, it would not be that great of an increase if we ended up putting Shannon into a HC position down the road. I have no knowledge on how this may turn out, but Shannon is my wish list candidate. I still believe that Shannon can save our recruiting class if we put him in. Steele didnt impress me at Clemson, while Shannon had a top 10 total defense every year he was a DC except for one. But you are correct, if we are going to look at Shannon as a CDD replacement down the road, then that is how he should be evaluated. If there is any truth to the reports coming out, (and I am not saying that there are), they are offerring Shannon a little more than 1 million a year, plus incentives.

Perhaps Hart thinks that if we surround Dooley with enough talent on the coaching end, Dooley will be able to keep his job. Lets face it, Fulmer was pretty good when he had Chavis and Cutcliffe. When he lost one of his supporting cast, it created his demise.

15. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I highly doubt they broke the Stokes commit. The Arnett rumors were around for months.

16. Jewbaccah

Jewbaccah New Member

FL98 had Arnett rumors long before they were on other sites. They really do have young kids on there who know players or young guys who work with the program. That is there "in"...the problem is the young guys may here something but interpret it poorly when spreading rumor.

But to the Shannon point. Shannon is a better HC then Dooley there is no doubt. Miami is a disyfunctional program he had his hands tied. And he still out performed what Dooley is doing here. Shannon is not an elite HC hire but an upgrade from Dooley.

17. Lexvol

Lexvol Guest

Agreed on all points. When an AD starts to hire your coaches...a head coach with any pride walks. The same goes for ADs who allow boosters to make decisions for them. Boosters should simply make funds available and trust an AD to do their job. An AD should just pay the coach and trust him/her to do their jobs as well. When that doesn't happen, there is nothing but dysfunction.

Bringing in "HC in waiting" at this point seems to be a pussified option.

18. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

That's the kind of "in" that let's you know Curt Maggitt has an ingrown toenail, not the identity of our next defensive coordinator.

19. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

Dooley would be the youngest coach in history to have a "coach in waiting" on his staff. It wouldn't surprise me at this point though.

20. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Reading this brought something to mind that I had initially forgotten.....

Isn't this exactly what Hammy did with Dooley, in regards to Cheney and Thompson? It might not have been explicitly (or publicly) stated, but I seem to remember it being a foregone conclusion that those two would be retained by the new head coach, ostensibly, as a way of thanking them for either not going with Kiffin, or for acting as the only steadying influence following his abrupt departure.

And if my memory on this is correct, and your statement is true (it is - imagine Bama's AD telling Saban who would be on his staff or not)...., it only furthers the following beliefs:

1. While circumstances certainly limited our pool of available candidates (i.e. timing, mass upheaval, bargain basement pay, depleted roster, etc.) - how much more were they likely limited by the addition of any staff mandates? I'd say drastically, for the reasons you mention, above. Do you think that you could land anyone that we would actually want (the usual suspects: Peterson, Patterson, Stoops, Gruden, etc.) with those requirements? That alone would have been a deal-breaker for most, I think.

2. What does it say about Dooley's acumen / desperation / opportunism to agree to take the job with those predetermined staffing requirements, regardless as to what other shit-storms were going on? IMO, it only accentuates a pervasive yet indescribable feeling that Dooley himself knew that he wasn't ready for this gig, and may never be, and that his only chance to land it was to agree to those terms. Or more directly, if he truly thought that he was an up-and-coming coach who could make it on the merits of his own accomplishments, alone, then there's no reason to agree to such terms with Tennessee. You simply say, "No thanks" - get a sizable bump in pay at LA Tech, grind out a couple of more "successful" years, and wait on a better opportunity....or you understand your value, and flatly refuse Tennessee's conditions, and be willing to walk away if they're not rescinded. That Dooley did neither allows me to infer that he was either operating from a mindset of insecurity or ignorance, neither of which are known to be core traits of successful football coaches, to say the very least.

It's like the girl who claims to be the "catch of a lifetime" but who is so driven by insecurity as to feel the need to give you a handjob under the restaurant table before ordering appetizers on your first date. Either she (secretly) knows that her "catch of a lifetime" line of thinking won't or shouldn't be believable, and she has to sell it - or she is a "catch of a lifetime" but fails to see her intrinsic value as such. In any event, she's either motivated by insecurity or ignorance, which by definition, rescinds the "catch of a lifetime" schtick, by definition.

Or, you (stupidly) just ignore all of that "thinking" and simply believe that she can be both the "catch of a lifetime" and a woman who also likes to give gratuitous hand-jobs in public places, and even then, only after the most cursory introductions. Whereas the difference between her words and deeds would prove too disparate for most men, seemingly, it wasn't to Hammy. Instead, he believed it was possible for her to be both, and headed to The 'Forge to hurry and make that shit legal, deciding he'd better lock up his "prize" and vowing to worry about all of that other stuff, later.

Now, he's long-since jumped ship, and we find ourselves "celebrating" our two-year anniversary of being married to this delusional [itch bay] by wandering aimlessly from shop to shop in Gatlinburg, hoping to find someone who will include two free airbrushed shirts with every genital piercing purchase, and that such transaction, once found, can be concluded in time to make the early bird special at the Dixie Stampede.

I don't know how we arrived at this point, but here we are. I am going to stop typing now, wash my hands, and get some coffee.