"The Athletic" discussion

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by lylsmorr, Aug 5, 2018.

1. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Man I don't know if Kongbo was a fan favorite while he was here but he might be a retroactive one after that interview.

2. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Well, he used the word respect. But probably.

3. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

Would have been nice to have seen him develop under this current staff.

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

His latest on Brian Niedermeyer is great

“He’s everyone’s best friend,” Shane Ghramm said. “In my life, I’ve never met anyone who’d say they didn’t like Brian.”

“If they don’t, it’s just because he whooped their ass,” Wes Rabung said.

“And even then, they still kind of like him,” Ghramm said.

“He has an ability to connect with people that I don’t think I’ve ever seen in anyone else,” said Greg Ghramm.

“The dude could sell a plunger to a plumber,” Shane Ghramm said.

“He’s got big balls,” Shackelford said. “He walks into the coaches’ office and is like, ‘I’ll bring coffee and donuts to coaches, whatever you need. I’ll be a gopher. I don’t care. I just want to be a part of it.’ There were a lot of macaroni and cheese and cheap beer evenings.”

5. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Not a fan of big balls, I'm more of an ass man

Memtownvol likes this.
  6. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

[​IMG]

utvol0427 and kmf600 like this.
  7. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I've said this a thousand times, you are a gift to this world.

8. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Curse him for today's piece.

9. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

What is it about?

10. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

10 reasons why Tennessee has been horrible that last 10 years.

11. CardinalVol

I mean, he didn't say anything that wasn't true. I just hated to read it.

12. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I disagreed in part with Schiano Sunday. I understand it was a bad look, but I believe his hiring would have simply kept things on its course. Maybe it would not have. We'll never know, but I think it was a symptom of the problem rather than a cause.

Volst53 likes this.
  13. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

Holy shit at the Dooley quote lol. He attributes some of his lack of success in that nobody would take direction from him.

14. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

hiring schiano would have been miserable. It took our fans freaking out to make sure a coach with no ties to the SEC, questionable coaching tactics and part of the Sandusky staff, wasn't going to be our coach. I don't care what outsiders think. And all this talk hurt Schiano and his family, normally I would care. However, I find it very hard to believe I would be working with and near a pedo for 18 hours a day and not either know, or sense something amiss and gtfo or do something. I 100% believe he heard rumors or knew something and didn't do or say anything.

A-Smith likes this.
  15. CardinalVol

Disagree - he's hired and the bottom falls out. Stability was gone. The fanbase would have been done.

16. CardinalVol

He does make a great point, that has been discussed, about how Dobbs was able to hide everything wrong with the team because he was so good. Honestly, I am probably guilty of under-appreciating how good of a college QB he really was. You saw even what Butch's best team really was when Dobbs had a terrible game in Columbia.

Memtownvol and A-Smith like this.
  17. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Don't misunderstand. I think he was a terrible choice and a bad fit, but I think it's hard to say how soon there would be disaster. If he somehow lucks into one more win than the total for last year, a disturbingly large portion of the fan base swoons. If the results are the same, average fans are making the who ya gonna get, how's it gonna look arguments. That Sunday was lightning in a bottle.

18. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

Ability and leadership-wise Dobbs was a throwback to another era. He didn’t pass well and he was far from the most athletic guy on the field but he willed his team to victory a lot. He was reminiscent of a lot of very good SEC QBs from the 60s like Pat Trammel, Dewey Warren, and Archie Manning.

19. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I dunno. He was pretty danged athletic.

20. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Dobbs was possibly the best worst thing to happen to UT football.