DC's Spam and Trolling Thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by dc4utvols, Jun 12, 2017.

1. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Wow. Merging the thread about the war hero that may have a terminal condition. Got to keep the forum clear of any unwanted thoughts.

2. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

Thank you. I am consistently amazed at how many people just can't get this right... Even highly intelligent people (of whom I count IP, even though we disagree on several issues) love to say we live in a "democracy"....

I guess, in a de facto sort of way, we DO live in a democracy now, but that isn't how things were originally set up. Laziness and apathy on the part of "we the people", coupled with a deep and abiding love of getting shit for "free" (that other people have paid for, by the way)... has torpedoed the notion of personal responsibility...

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

A democratic constitutional republic is not a democracy? I think it is, by definition. Please educate me on how a democratic constitutional republic is not a democracy.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm sure the Clintons are behind it somehow.

5. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I don't understand your reference. Most likely the post was deleted before I read it.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I laughed

7. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

In a pure democracy, the election is the final word. In a constitutional republic the constitution is the final word. That said, it brings me back to my thought that in effect America IS a de facto democracy and has been (except for that separation of powers/ checks and balances thingy...) for over 100 years now. We've been conditioned to believe that we have some sort of "right" to someone else's labor.

8. dc4utvols

dc4utvols Contributor

Well originally the people only had the house as its direct representative. The Senate was the States body. The president represented both and the court was a check on the two but was supposed to be the weaker branch. The enumerated powers defined in the constitution was supposed to limit the scope of the central governments power to only the defined powers. The people do not have direct vote but must choose representatives. In democracies as the founders/framers knew them voting citizens had a direct vote on agendas. They feared this mobocracy concept.

In fact we arent much of democracy or republic these days. We are an oligarchy lorded over by a group of nine persons. Their word ( more like 5 or more) is the final say up and until we take back the country via an article 5 convention of the states.

A Mrs. Powel of Philadelphia asked Benjamin Franklin, “Well, Doctor, what have we got, a republic or a monarchy?” With no hesitation whatsoever, Franklin responded, “A republic, if you can keep it.”

We have been doing a poor job over the last 100 years.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

A "pure" democracy? Can you quote where I said anything about a pure democracy? I just said democracy. Do we not vote on our representatives?

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

11. dc4utvols

dc4utvols Contributor

12. dc4utvols

dc4utvols Contributor