[ddiapos]: Worse Than John Blake.

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by hatvol96, Aug 19, 2013.

Tags:
  1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

2010 wasn't great, but they were smart enough to let Simms take all the shots and slide Bray into to succeed. If he had started against USCe, though, Tennessee may win that one.

However, the LSU game erases anything "good" about that season.

2. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Football study hall did a piece trying to isolate (to some degree) game coaching by comparing game results with recruiting results. They focused on recent coaches, and this comment compiles the average effect of a coach on his results: http://www.footballstudyhall.com/20...ll-apparent-talent-coaching-effects#179301065

Dooley is only 18th worst, and his negative impact compares roughly to the positive impact of David Shaw. Dooley is -.92 on a scale from 1.75 (Kevin Sumlin) to -2.65 (Jon Embree). Keep in mind that this is only about game-coaching, not recruiting, which was also terrible (and was the large part of hat's point in making this thread). Also, 2010 is listed as Dooley's worst season because of the strength of the 2007 and 2009 classes (which ended up having a high incidence of busts/attrition).

This article insinuates that Willingham and Weis were both bigger disasters than Dooley, but that's because it starts in 2006 (which means it misses Weis' best season and only uses Willingham's time at Washington). Neuheisel's UCLA tenure is also high on the list of disasters.

[note: Kevin Sumlin is ahead of Saban only because his sample size in BCS-level college football is only one year]

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  3. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I remember a comment Dubose made that season. It was something along the lines that he inserted Zow into the lineup to show Tyler how to get it done. Of course he went on to say that Tyler would continue to start. It was pure gold, and a bunch of bammers ate it up.

I have little doubt Dubose was the worst head coach not named Dooley at a major SEC program in the last 15 years.

4. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

You know, that whole Turner Gill debacle is really looking more and more like Auburn chose a better coach (not good, better). He honest to God may be a worse coach that Dooley, albeit he's never been at a power program.

5. Tar Volon

I don't understand how he built Buffalo from nothing to something half-decent and then ended up crashing so badly at Kansas.

6. rockytopblues

rockytopblues Member

I think part of reason Dooley was even allowed here was Hamilton was under the dellusion that the ship could steer itself. It didn't matter who was at the helm. Hamilton thought between his fund-raising abilities and the allure of TN football that he could short-change the coaching position after losing his shorts on the Kiffin deal. That attitude has prevailed at TN ever since, thinking that second-rate coaches will produce first-rate football. Not how it works, and we all know that. Dooley was a disaster, and anyone that couldn't see that through his recruiting of "diamonds in the rough" because TN wasn't able to recruit 4 and 5 stars, was blind. He took a bad situation and made it worse. That makes him the worst coach in modern history.

7. Volmaul

Volmaul New Member

I'm still not sure. How bad would 2011 have been if Sunseri started then? I think Dooley was pretty similar in both years. I just can't tell which year was worse when looking only at him. The team probably had some excellent shower discipline though.

8. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

FWIW they've gone 2-10, 3-9 and 4-8 since he left. Not sure how "great" of a job he did. Granted the 2008 season was a great season by Bulls standards.

9. Volmaul

Volmaul New Member

For the whole coaching staff, I have to agree with you.

10. Tar Volon

They went 1-11, 1-11, 2-9, and 1-10 the four years before he got there. That 2008 season was damn near miraculous. But I suppose the regression in 2009 should've been a warning sign. Even so, he still improved the baseline.

11. Low Country Vol

Low Country Vol Contributor

Kansas was already a bad team when he arrived. His first two seasons at Buffalo nearly match the the same winning percentage he had at Kansas after two seasons. He just was not given a third season at Kansas.

12. Volmaul

Volmaul New Member

All I know is that I'm glad I'm not in the alternate universe where I have to find out. I should send Sunseri a box of donuts for helping get rid of the bastard.

13. Tar Volon

Kansas averaged 8.3 wins per season in the three years prior to hiring Gill. Buffalo averaged 1.3.

14. Low Country Vol

Low Country Vol Contributor

They were 5-7 (1-7 in conference play) the prior season he arrived. They were clearly a team on the decline due to NCAA sanctions with limited scholarships for displaying a "lack of institutional control".

15. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Look at the roster he inherited at Kansas. Not like Charlie Weis did any better last season. Also, Gill still had more wins over ranked teams at Kansas than Dooley did at UT.

16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Karl Dorrell at UCLA and Keith Gilbertson at UW can be added to the list.

17. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Not sure I consider either of those programs to be historically top 20 caliber.

18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Washington certainly is. UCLA is borderline. How about callahan at Nebraska?

19. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

Would you put Tennessee top 10?

Also how do you view this current recruiting class? Program changer, overhyped, or too early to tell?

20. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

He sucked, but I would say that decline really started under Solich? Callahan also had to move away from the option.