[ddiapos]: Worse Than John Blake.

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by hatvol96, Aug 19, 2013.

Tags:
  1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Of course you'd put tenn in the top 10.

2. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

If he started against UF, we do win that one. Simms accounted for a 21 point swing.

3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

You have a bit of a fulmer debate there, except solich really never had as bad seasons as fulmer. It was clear nebraska was slipping under solich, but callahan completely torpedoed it.

4. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Callahan also left enough talent that Pelini has won at least nine games in each of his first four seasons.

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Of course.

The current class has a few playmakers Tennessee desperately needs. It's got to hold together though. 2014 can be the class that starts the turn, 2015 will be the class that starts adding much needed depth.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Pelini is also a fairly good HC, I think. Not great, but good enough to win 8 or 9 games every year.

7. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

Jammal Lord helped usher Solich out of Lincoln. Its funny how that entire state forgot how pedestrian some NU teams were right before the likes of Tommie Frazier, Terrel Farley, Lawrence Phillips, and Ahman Green emerged.

8. Tar Volon

Sure. But even a great coach needs players. The point is Callahan didn't leave the cupboard entirely bare.

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Yep, just saying it didn't take a Herculean effort by a future HOF coach to get those teams to 9 wins.

10. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

Since I brought him up, here is Terrel Farley. Nebraska's answer to ECW's New Jack.

[video=youtube;iNH79McFixM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNH79McFixM[/video]

11. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Callahan had one top 20 recruiting class in 2005. The rest were decent like 25-30th, but certainly not leaving the house stacked like say paul hackett or zook.

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Pelini has also gone against some awful conference opponents.

13. OrangeBlood79

OrangeBlood79 Contributor

#9 All-time wins. When things are good, its arguably a top 10 job....the last decade has tarnished its luster quite a bit, and Derek M'f*ckin Dooley has turned us into a punchline, but its EASILY top 15, nationally, arguably top 10.

14. OrangeBlood79

OrangeBlood79 Contributor

Growing up in Nashville, I've had a first-row seat to some of the worst HC's to ever roam the sidlines of an SEC field:

Rod Dowhower is always good for a punchline
    Woody Woodenhoffer had a superb resume as a positional coach
    ...and then there's good ole Robbie Caldwell, who made more references to horses and turkey hunting than football.

Of course, we're talking Vanderbilt here, so the potshots are easy...

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

And he's really not beaten the good ones either.

16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

combine that with the SEC championships, national titles, and large fanbase and you have a top 10 job certainly. Though it's obvious your AD isn't treating it like one.

17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Which is why I think he's a just a "good" coach.

18. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Washington was good under Don James. That's pretty much the extent of their history.

Callahan was bad, but that had more to do with him having no business in college.

19. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Nebraska rarely, if ever, recruited any better than that. Their "strength program" carried them.

20. Tar Volon

Jim Owens had a good run, but it was pretty short-lived.