POLITICS Democratic Nominee 2020 Lollapalooza

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by Unimane, Feb 6, 2019.

?

Who will win the Democratic nomination for president in 2020?

1. Biden, J

42.1%
  2. Booker, C

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Buttigieg, P

15.8%
  4. Castro, J

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Clinton, H

15.8%
  6. Harris, K

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Klobuchar, A

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Sanders, B

10.5%
  9. Warren, E

15.8%
  10. Yang, A

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. IP

IP Super Moderator

2. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Jesus, Biden is telling everyone that he will raise your taxes, but you probably won't even feel it. Are politicians really this out of touch?

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

someone told me that if you just ignore them and don't think about them, you won't notice them and your life will be unaffected.

4. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Every Democrat on this list will 100% raise taxes.

At least he’s being honest.

This wealth ain’t going to redistribute itself.

kmf600 likes this.
  5. IP

IP Super Moderator

it's fair to say every one of these will raise taxes. it's also fair to point out trump raised tariffs pretty dramatically. it's fair to say more people need to learn what that means.

6. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Yeah, I’m all for it, brother.

Taxes: Take off the top, from what you make, no matter what. Higher taxes mean less people are employed, and those who are end up having to pay a higher amount to make up for those missed dollars.

Tariffs: If you buy shit from companies who produce shit made anywhere but in the US, and by anyone other than Americans, but who want to profit from selling it in the US, and to Americans, it costs more. It also not only helps US-based businesses, but incentivizes others to move those operations / jobs / revenue to America.

I think the entire government should be funded by tariffs alone, the way the Founders and God intended.

kmf600 and zehr27 like this.
  7. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Psshh, business costs aren't passed to the consumer, or so I'm told.

8. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I have two daughters that will be going to college in less than 5 years, which is about the time I'm trying to retire and I absolutely do not want my taxes to go up for "free" education. I've already paid for my daughters' education, why would I want to pay for it again?

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Eliminating student debt is another one. So responsible people who didn’t take out massive loans and saved for education should get the middle finger? My in laws paid for 3 kids to through college and they were firmly middle class.

10. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

I have to admit that when I saw that billionaire wipe out debt for that entire class, I felt terrible for the students who basically spent the last four years sacrificing everything.

11. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Need more programs such as Scotts Tots to make sure those who graduate HS go to college free.

tvolsfan and Unimane like this.
  12. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I had the same thought

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

Theresa lot of overlap between those two.

14. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

I certainly don’t want to be critical of any student who graduated with debt.

15. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

How many hours a week do students go to classes? Like a full time student. I'll even allow for studying at this point. 4 classes at 1.5 hours/class fair? 3 times a week?

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

15 to 20 classroom hours should have 30 to 40 additional hours of study a week. I realize that isn't what most do, but being a full time student is close to a 40 hour commitment even doing half of the above.

I remember working 30 hours a week in undergrad, in addition to a full load of classes. it definitely affected my learning to do that and even making more than minimum wage of the time I came away with some debt. in grad school, I was employed by the university but came away with more debt from UT. working on the PhD, I was paying down a little on debt but not getting ahead.

not all majors/disciplines are equal, either. a lot of time working in labs isn't part of class hours, for example.

17. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Goodness im not sure I studied 40 hours a month. I did work though. The Daily Beacon by day and Lord Lindseys by night

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

the daily beacon seems more like a club.

19. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I'm not trying to disrespect any of your accomplishments, I respect the shit out of everything you do, and clearly you've worked for what you have. And you totally don't have to answer any of this, but why Tennessee? Did you look around at cheaper options? Did you think in your career someone would say, oh, wait, he got his degree from Tennessee instead of East Tennessee St, or wherever they offered you degree?

Do you want kids' education paid for? Or do you want on campus dorm rooms, and/or food? Books? Clothes? Pens and paper? Orange and White license plate? Seriously, what do you think should be covered?

20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

when i switched from computer science to econ my work dropped by 2/3rds