POLITICS Democrats on Illegals / Children

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by Tenacious D, Jun 20, 2018.

1. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Only whack jobs want to abolish the ICE.

Equating migrant workers from Mexico to slavery is asinine and stupid. They are paid and are welcome to go home anytime they wish, unless their employer is keeping them locked up. Then they should be charged with unlawful confinement, slavery and whatever else the law can slam them with.

Saying "if you don't like the way we enforce our laws, don't enter" is asinine as well. What if we said "anyone crossing the border will be summarily shot as an invading combatant"? We are talking morality here, not legality. Just because it is a law doesn't make it moral. See: sodomy laws, Jim Crow laws, etc.

3. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Yeah; I don't see abolishing ICE as a Winning issue. I am surprise that the message also seems to be coming from some moderates (i.e., [penis] Durbin).

4. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

It’s a losing position.

While there are likely fair considerations with the movement concerning the role or certain practices of ICE - this will only be construed as one thing in November: Democrats Want Open Borders.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

That's the real issue. ICE is a relatively new agency and could be reorganized, but the optics are bad.

6. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I think it says a little about the state of our country when, if you don't like a law, we should get rid of the department that enforces the law.

I stopped watching the news anymore. This political stuff is getting out of hand. The government has been arresting people illegally crossing our borders for a long time, and you can't just throw children in the same place you have criminals. You can't just let anyone in this country either.

7. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

It is out of hand. Its taken over peoples lives. Ruined friendships. Sent people away from message boards. Flat blinded people on both sides as to how they are acting, and the news could give a [uck fay] about accuracy.

8. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Washington saw this on his suggestion of having no political parties.

Identity politics have vilified the other side that there’s no middle ground to start on.

Both sides just worry about branding and holding on to their high ground.

It doesn’t help that there’s a growing divide in lifestyles between rural and urban, but a growing centralized government that doesn’t govern that way.

warhammer likes this.
  9. IP

IP Super Moderator

Did you say that about folks wanting to toss the EPA? IRS?

10. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Yep.

IP likes this.
  11. IP

IP Super Moderator

Well shit, now what am I supposed to say? [dadgum] inconsiderate response there, pal

kmf600, RockyHill and justingroves like this.
  12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I don't believe you're speechless

NorrisAlan likes this.
  13. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

And to be fair, though not calling to replace it, Trump has been bashing the FBI with no seemingly ill effect.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

That's the other rub to calling for ice to be disbanded. It is in fact so conveniently laid out as a parallel "whattabout" as to probably have been originally drafted in cyrillic. Russia plays the far left too.

15. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

So before the outrage of the Trump Policy was it the policy to charge the Adult who crossed the border illegally with a misdemeanor and then send the Adult and Child(ren) on their way with a notice to appear in court at a future date?

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

That is my understanding, if no other record. Particularly if they are petitioning for asylum. Something completely lost in the national narrative is that if you show up asking for asylum, you are not actually illegally immigrating but lawfully acting. But they are being treated the same.

What I mean is that many of these people aren't being "caught," they are showing up.

17. TennTradition

There were a lot of different routes.

About 20% of adults were referred for prosecution. Not clear how many of those had children.

There were family detention centers that some families went to while awaiting their immigration hearing.

For those that were released, there were programs that focused on regular check-ins. Some of these employed ankle bracelets. Others did not.

18. TennTradition

If you come to an official border crossing and request asylum, you weren’t being put through the criminal processing and therefore family separation was rare (though there were about 40 lawsuits where there were separations in this on stance).

In many cases, these families were jut denied entry or tge opportunity for an asylum hearing. Some of these families then illegally immigrated.

IP likes this.
  19. IP

IP Super Moderator

Got it, thanks for the clarification

20. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

As part of my being a conservative, I believe things have been going, not great, but ok for years. Because over the years, we have figured stuff out and figured out how things work. The old way of doing things seems to work. I'm not saying progressives don't have some good ideas, it's just that everything can't get better because someone doesn't like the way we let people in our country, we should abolish the agency that enforces the border. I'm not even sure any of this makes sense. Sorry.