Destin Vacation Spot

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by **TDCVOL**, Dec 29, 2019.

1. **TDCVOL**

**TDCVOL** Contributor

We have been going to Waterscape over on Okaloosa Island for almost 10 years. It's awesome and I would recommend it to anyone that asked me about a place. Lazy river for kids, daily activities for kids (face painting etc...), 3 pools and one with a bar. That being said, the wife is ready for a change. Anyone have any ideas for the week of July 4th 2020 ?

2. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

That time of year kinda sucks down there. It's so crowded and hot.
    That said, I've been going everywhere from orange beach to pcb and everywhere in between for a long time. Depends on what you want. We liked Seacrest where kids could ride bikes and we could walk everywhere while renting a home, but beach access in peak months is bad now. Lately as our kids are older and beach means a little less, we rent a home in seagrove near a few restaurants, and rent a street legal golf cart to drive to grocery, liquor store and public beach access where i pitch a tent on the front row at sunrise to come and go as we wish. Then we can take the cart to grayton, seagrove and other restaurants which is fun as they are jacked up carts with 35 mph speed.

**TDCVOL** likes this.
  3. **TDCVOL**

**TDCVOL** Contributor

We go down there almost every year because MY favorite place to eat is Great Southern (Grits-a-ya-ya). I would like to rent a house as long as it has beach frontage. Does yours ?

4. Ssmiff

We rent various places but I don't pay for beach front homes. I'd rather spend the difference on boat rental, cart etc. We do split with other families at times and upgrade size.
    For many years we enjoyed HighPointe in Seacrest with our kids and friends. Great pool. On beach. 5 minute walk to overly popular and expensive rosemary and many other restaurants, candy shops, pizza places, night music, etc. On site restaurant Crabby Steve's is only one for miles on the beach with access from beach only or staying at condo. Great food. Full menu. Easy for me and when boys get hungry, they go up there and eat as long as they bring me a citrus blast or BlackBerry mojito

**TDCVOL** likes this.
  5. **TDCVOL**

**TDCVOL** Contributor

We always go to Destin to eat. Which is why we are looking to change it up. Sometimes traffic can be bad from Okaloosa to Destin, and over on the Island about all you got is AJ's which is ok but not great. I've been looking at Silver Beach Towers and Silver Shells. both nice and have ocean view available.

6. Ssmiff

Yeah like I said it depends on what you are looking for and budget. Those HP condos i mentioned will probably run $500/night that week not including other fees. Not cheap but nothing is anymore. I have friends who can't find a Nashville hotel on a regular weekend for less than $400/night.
    I haven't gotten dressed nice to get in car and drive to eat in a long time down there. We've chosen walking access to various options of food and things other than the beach, where now we usually don't hit until 3 or so and stay until sunset.
    Again the issue is the cost, which is why we only go on spring and fall when half the cost and people along with better temps. October down on the gulf is incredible.

7. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Hilton Head.

Destin, PCB all have more for kids to do, and are nice places, but I prefer HHI to any beach in the SE US.

utvol0427 and **TDCVOL** like this.
  8. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

This is most intelligent post you've made on the board.

That said, the overrun of Ohioans vacationing there is getting to be annoying. Also, I'm pissed that they closed the Bi-Lo.

9. Ssmiff

I enjoy ocean frolicking, throwing ball and such. Atlantic seems more like a scene from Jaws when I've been. Can't see 3 inches below the water and people are scared to go out more than a few feet

10. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Always knew you were a frolicker.

11. Ssmiff

You think I'm gonna walk up to a bathroom to take a dump?

12. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

We will be there that week but we are staying in Miramar Beach on a house with wife's family. Literally the only week we could go between baseball and football.

13. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

We went to Okaloosa Island earlier this year and really enjoyed it. Seemed less crowded to me than other spots in Florida.

14. Tenacious D

Go to Norris Lake every weekend, and you’ll get immune to FIFO’s pretty quickly. Would have preferred Trump’s wall be on Kentucky’s southern border, than Texas’.

Volst53 and utvol0427 like this.
  15. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

You need to try Wrightsville Beach, NC. Every house on the island is just a few steps from the Atlantic and the inland cove.

Tenacious D likes this.
  16. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

FIFO=[uck fay]ing idiots from Ohio?

Tenacious D likes this.
  17. Tenacious D

Correct.

A photo of what looked to be a very large and expensive runabout boat made the rounds a few years ago. What was odd about it was that it was not actually on the water, but beached several dozen yards on an island. Apparently, the boat was running wide open down the main channel at night, and by a driver who wasn’t aware or familiar with islands and inlets of Norris Lake. That the hull number on the boat began with “OH” was the least surprising thing of all.

18. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

01g2
    I've not been there in a few years, is the Piggly Wiggly still open?

19. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

The one in Coligny Plaza is still there. The one that was on the parkway closed a while back.

20. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Back when we used to Norris Lake, we would call them all AFOs, but FIFOs works as well. I’d not heard that one before.