DISH to offer $20/month streaming service with ESPN

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by hallowed_hill, Jan 6, 2015.

1. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

2. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Who do you use for Internet, and why won't they just throttle the connection (assuming it isn't DISH)?

3. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

Comcast. And i don't know.

4. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

That would be my worry. Comcast will throttle. Whether it is enough to make a difference or not, I can't say.

5. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Of course they will. We need more competition in the ISP space to ensure consistent quality for those who wish to go full stream. Of course if you live in Chattanooga you're probably good to go.

6. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

You can just assume that Comcast is going to **** you any way they can.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

Let your Retard Republican congress folks know you want net neutrality. Predictably, they're taking a "free enterprise, no gov interference" $tance on this.

8. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I'm all for the democrats giving free internet access, as long as I get mine too

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

I see the brain washing is going ahead of pace for you, if you are already conflating net neutrality with some sort of handout.

10. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I have no idea what you said, does that mean I get free internet, because 80 coconuts a month is pissing me off.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

No, it means you get the bandwidth you paid for no matter what it is you are choosing to spend it on. I.e. if you want to watch monster truck youtube videos or ESPN streaming all day and all night, comcast can't slow it down or make it skip because you aren't watching monster truck on demand with them or subscribing to ESPN with them. Comcast wants to charge both ways: coming and going. That isn't how the internet was ever designed to work, and will stifle business by pushing out the little guy as well as unnecessarily burden the consumer.

12. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Gotcha, to be honest, I had Vonage phone service that uses your internet to make calls. I had it for years, until Comcast started pushing their bundle packages. When I told them I didn't want their phone and TV service, my Vonage stopped working. Vonage sent me new equipment, walked me thru troubleshooting everything, but it never worked. We both suspected Comcast was interrupting it some how. IDK if they can even do that.

13. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

BTW, IP, I hope you know that I'm just messing with you probably 50% of the time, if not more.

14. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

[​IMG]

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

They can and do. But Republican congress folk are taking the knee-jerk position of "all regulation is bad," which in this case ironically hurts businesses other than Comcast.

Part of the problem is we have monopoly situations with broadband internet. It is time to either classify them as utilities, or carve them up into competing bodies.

16. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Exactly. ISPs today are "Ma Bell: The Return", though to a lesser scale. We have a mini-monopoly situation that must be remedied (see increased competition). Reclassification is not my preferred solution, but breaking them up would be fine. Ultimately we need more competition in the market, and a good initial step is to roll back ISP-sponsored legislation that currently limits competition in many states (see Chatanooga's challenges in expanding it's public high speed service beyond city limits).

17. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Comcast and AT&T have both added Data caps to monthly services. 300gb Comcast, 250gb for AT&T.

If you use Netflix/Hulu/Any video streaming with any consistency, it's pretty easy to hit it.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

This whole site is just a Truman Show for Norris. Don't tell him.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

But data caps are arbitrary and nonsensical. They prey on people who don't understand technology thinking there is an actual supply/demand aspect to data. There isn't. There is speed and capacity, neither of which are affected by data caps.

20. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Wait, so my Dad isn't dead?