DIY Construction Advice Thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by fl0at_, Oct 26, 2011.

1. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

Mine has the HO389 w/4bbl carb. It would easily hit 120mph, but you could see the fuel gauge drop. Got about 10mpg.

2. MWR

MWR Contributor

This one either had a 389 or maybe a 426, or whatever Pontiac made at that time. When you "kicked it", it would pin you back in the seat.

3. Customtaco

Customtaco Member

Hot water heater problems..... Bought a new house a few weeks ago. Hot water heater has a drip from the T&P Valve. I replace the T&P Valve drip continues. Any ideas?

4. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

Kick it

5. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

There was a 426 and a 389, and both had the tri-power option.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Water temp is too high, maybe

7. Customtaco

Customtaco Member

Water temp is set to 120. I need to verify though. I am adding a expansion tank. Apparently local code says we have to have one with a water heater over 40 gallons. Mines 50. Hopefully that helps.

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Temp shouldn't be the issue then.

9. Customtaco

Customtaco Member

Can you tell me how to test the pressure? Do I need to test the pressure of just the tank or the whole house and how would a man go about doing that?

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Buy a pressure tester, an air compressor and drain the water out of your lines.

The easiest place to hook up would be the supply line to your washing machine, put 60 or so pounds on it and check for leaks.

One thing, it may be cheaper to call a plumber if you don't have the stuff.

11. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Getting ready to start on finishing our basement and we have no drains except for sump pump pit in mechanical room. The 2 contactors we are deciding between both have different ideas. One says cut drains in and the other says pump up system. We are putting 2 full bathrooms in so we need something. For you guys that know more than me what would you recommend?

12. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Two full bathrooms in the basement seems like you'd need a pretty robust pump.

13. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Each bathroom would have its own pump.

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I think I would go with the pump system.

One thing, if you saw cut and put plumbing in, there's no pump maintenance.

15. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

That's the way I am leaning. The no maintenance would be nice but the cutting is going to be messing and once the drains are in there is no moving them.

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I'm betting the price isn't much different either

17. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

You are exactly right. It's real close in price.

18. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Anyone have a cheap and effective way to remove algae/moss/fungus from an old sidewalk? The church that my cub scouts meet at has a large sidewalk that is very old, so I don't want to use a pressure washer on it. Would bleach solution with a brush do the trick?

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Bleach and a pressure washer

Just saw no pressure washing, so use a hose pipe and rinse after scrubbing

20. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Yeah, the sidewalk is about 60 years old and is peeling up a lot in places. I don't want to help them out only to destroy their sidewalk. Perhaps it won't hurt it, I don't know. Just seems the sidewalk is very crumbly. But with algae/moss makes it a bit slick when it is wet and I don't want any of the patrons of the church falling down walking to their car.