DIY Thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by droski, Jun 11, 2012.

Tags:
  1. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

since when do you know so much about wood?

2. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Walnut is a pretty slow growing tree and the right logs are worth a lot of money.

Everyone thinks they have the right logs though.

1”x12”x12” is a board foot. You can figure out how man board feet you bought.

For air dried walnut slab. Should be 6-8 dollars a board foot.

None of this matters if you like it, the price and the deal though.

Tenacious D, kmf600 and justingroves like this.
  3. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

If this is a penis joke: my wife’s boyfriend told me about it.

If sincere: I was really into woodworking about a decade ago. My last projects was an Osage Orange desktop, a cedar chest, a walnut cabinet, etc. I wanted to get into hand-tooled timber framing for awhile, but just didn’t have the space to do it well. I’d love to own my own sawmill, because buying wood is only slightly less expensive than most drugs.

kmf600 and justingroves like this.
  4. InVolNerable

You're in luck:
    [​IMG]

But that's awesome, I had no idea. I've dabbled with a few smaller projects (picture frame, bars, tables), but obviously the 4x4 ground contact wood scene was out of my knowledge space entirely. I'd love to dive into it further too.

5. Tenacious D

When did IP move to Texas?

IP likes this.
  6. Tenacious D

If you want a guy who knows his shit, who is an excellent instructor, and who won’t require you to buy a pack of tools for every project, check out Paul Sellers on YouTube.

If you’re into timber framing, check out Wranglerstar (he does a bunch of crazy shit, but should have a specific timber framing playlist).

If you’re into straight up building a log cabin by yourself and using hand tools, just out in the middle of damned nowhere Canada, check out My Self Reliance’s channel.

A cat named Diresta does a lot of cool woodworking builds, too.

I would have never started trying to build furniture - it was just too daunting. But I began just restoring old furniture, and once I got comfortable with how shit worked and went together, it made the transition to doing my own projects much easier.

Three unsolicited pieces of woodworking advice:
    1. If a veteran woodworker (which I certainly am not, BTW) gives you advice, heed it. Even if you don’t understand or believe it. They’ve had to destroy a piece of work to re-do or un-do something in a way that they never conceived, and they’re trying to save you from making the same mistake and suffering the same agony that they endured.

2. If it’s inordinately frustrating and/or hard, it’s because you failed to plan, don’t have the right tool, are trying to take a short-cut and rushing, should have built a jig or otherwise just aren’t properly thinking things through.

3. Buy the bare bones basic tools to start, and the cheapest models you can find (flea markets, antique stores and garage sales are perfect). Use them until they break, and then - and only then - replace them with the best shit you can buy. That way if you wash out, you get out on the cheap. If you use it enough to break it, you need the best you can afford (there is a HUGE difference in quality tools vs shit tools). If you don’t use it enough to break it, then you can ride with the cheap one until it does.

I hope to get back into it one day, but damned sure admire people who do it the right way and exceptionally well (again, I’m neither of those).

InVolNerable likes this.
  7. InVolNerable

Thank you muchly. Will check out those channels. These are the ww guys I follow currently:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCstwpLSByklww1YojZN-KiQ
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCckETVOT59aYw80B36aP9vw
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMd9JgqSESwyuOs0yuSTlEw
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKp44bWWZIiOPShPN_ytShw
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyxaLtaHLTUjCauqWWqCs_A

and #1 applies to any profession/hobby ever.

8. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Basement redo almost done except for something else on the walls and put up the bar.
    Cracked 10 x 10 area of aggregate up last 2 days and had the boys haul it off for a walkout deck. Didnt think i had it in me. I also cant move today.
    I bought this house 20 years ago and it didnt have a single deck. I came from a cookie cutter house neighborhood prior and wanted a view and some privacy .Took a long time, but this will be the 4th little deck sitting area ive added over the last 2 decades.

Last edited: May 2, 2020
    justingroves likes this.
  9. Ssmiff

Here is the back. Did the deck on right first. Then extended it over a few years later then covered it. The back faces the woods so i feel like im in a cabin at times.

Attached Files:

CardinalVol and 2Maggitt2Quit like this.
  10. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

That's a nice deck.

11. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I'm a big fan of crow foot faux framing on a porch

12. Ssmiff

Thanks. Weve been here awhile so it took some time and patience to get done.

13. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Wife has decided since we have time and funds we are giving the backyard makeover.

This is not my wheelhouse. Buckle up I guess.

Tenacious D likes this.
  14. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I'm always like "let's get a new TV or computer ...you know, something we will get a use out of."

Then I sleep on the couch

15. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

What's the best weedkiller for a lawn that won't hurt grass?

16. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I’m not a fan of herbicides but 2 4 D

17. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Very nice.....

18. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I don't have much out back right now - just a small covered area. I do not trust myself to try it, but the temptation is growing.

19. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Anyone ever replaced a frost-proof faucet hooked to a PEX water pipe? Or worked with PEX at all? I left a hose hooked up to my faucet over the winter and you know what happened. I need to replace it but we have PEX in the house and I have no clue how to even go about it.

20. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

You crimp it. It's really easy to work with