DIY Thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by droski, Jun 11, 2012.

Tags:
  1. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Do you need a special crimper? I imagine so.

2. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

3. NorrisAlan

4. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

PEX is awesome until a few years from now when we find out it causes cancer, leaks, and is a spy for the Chinese.

justingroves and NorrisAlan like this.
  5. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Done and not a ton of $ to do it. Room was a complete shithole for so many years. Wish we woulda done it earlier.

Attached Files:

warhammer likes this.
  6. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Guarantee that you can do it.

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Just try it, if you screw it up it's easily fixed

Tenacious D likes this.
  8. Ssmiff

Yeah no doubt try it. Design it yourself. Not sure of your layout, but we had a kitchen window facing back. Pulled that out and made it into a doorway and there is your sitting/grill area right off the kitchen.
    Then in a year or so cover it and throw a tv
    out there. There is never a place too tight for a deck or patio if you have a few feet

9. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

I've forgotten about taking off my backflow preventer 2 out of the 4 years I've been at this house. Those things are expensive to replace.

justingroves likes this.
  10. Ssmiff

Headed to old natch. Prolly passing your hood.

11. Tenacious D

You guys should hang out over a 6-pack of Natty Ice. Do either of you have comforters as curtains?

12. Ssmiff

Whats a curtain

Tenacious D likes this.
  13. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

What are you wanting to do? Build a deck?

14. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I'm wanting to put in a larger patio. So I'd need a pad or level-off and support base. Either lay stone or pour concrete (would have to get someone to help if laying a pad I'm sure). If I was going to do it, I'd probably just put a pergola-like cover and build up some flower-boxes along sides to somewhat enclose. But what I'd really like to do is extend solid cover of existing smaller patio out to make a larger covered patio. But, that starts getting into tie-in with existing roof which I completely feel is a pro's job.

15. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

If you area is anything like where I am if you want a pro to do it you will probably have it done sometime next spring at this rate. I would just extend the patio and add a Struxure aluminum pergola. Would make for a great outdoor space.

16. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Since I already have about a 5ft. deep covered patio and want to extend it out, I think a pergola could work pretty well. I could put a TV up under the cover and keep the grill/smoker/etc up there, but then push the table and seating areas back under the pergola. Maybe get some kind of shade I can pull down in evenings on one side. And then build some beds to plant in around two edges to make it a little more private - I'm in a pretty dense neighborhood and want to get away from the "surrounded by fence"

zehr27 likes this.
  17. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

You can build that TT.

YouTube what you don't know and just jump in there.

18. NorrisAlan

YouTube is perhaps the single greatest DIY invention of all time.

19. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Yeah it's right there with the printing press on biggest libertarian/individual inventions of all time.

20. Tenacious D

If you need some confidence in your ability to do it yourself, I laid a 600sq/ft brick patio at my first house.

I hired a guy with a bobcat to level / grade the area away from the house and to add gravel base and then sand, but I laid the border and did the brick myself.

If I can do it, anyone can.