Do People Have a Right to Healthcare

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Mar 14, 2017.

1. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

I don't think it is complicated to determine whether healthcare* is a right. It isn't.

The question is what government's role in providing healthcare should be. Deeming it a right is a strategic ploy used by those who believe government's role should be larger.

*The larger political debate isn't about healthcare, anyway. It is about where the responsibility for payment for health related costs should fall. The debate is about insurance, not care.

2. cotton

Isn't this the same concept as school busing?

3. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Yes.

4. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

That can be explained by how emotional the issue can be, people misunderstanding how their rights work, people being idiots or some combination of all three. It certainly isn't due to the issue being nuanced or complex.

5. JayVols

People that disagree with me are idiots. Nice argument, even if expected.

6. RockyHill

I didn't say that. When I said that I was referring to the far left types who would argue they have a right to free healthcare, a free education and God only knows what else.

7. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Exactly. You either say yes or no. Some will say yes and some will say no. Pretty basic. IMO

8. JayVols

As opposed to the far right types that think money=the right to do anything? Most of us fall somewhere in between, ya know?

9. JayVols

I said yes.

No stuttering involved.

10. RockyHill

Look, I said what I said and I stand by it. I don't know where that post is coming from. I didn't, and wouldn't, call you an idiot because of your beliefs on this issue or any other.

11. JayVols

I accepted your explanation on the idiot comment. I didn't mention it again. I was pointing out your fixation on "far-left types" by saying there are crazies on both sides, and the constant prattle against the extremes, which are a minority, is like putting a band-aid on a briar scratch while ignoring a severed arm.

12. cotton

Should you have to pay anything for healthcare? Should anyone (like government) have to pay for an individual's healthcare?

13. JayVols

Yes, we should pay. Not looking for a free ride. I think my life is testament to that.

14. cotton

I know you aren't, that wasn't what I was implying. I would like to know, though, if you think we should have to pay to exercise any other rights.

15. JayVols

See your point.

We pay taxes, at least some of us do, for things the government provides that aren't in the rights category. I'm ok with that.

16. RockyHill

Fwiw, I'm ok with paying something for someone else's care in a universal system (at least hypothetically). I'm not advocating for people without the ability to pay being denied care that they badly need. I don't know that we are capable of putting a great system into place. I'm just against calling something a right when it unquestionably is not, that's a dangerous road.

17. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

And I respect that.

18. JayVols

Thanks. I completely understand this argument.

I see no way to actually do this outside of universal coverage. For good or bad, I just don't see how you do it.

19. JayVols

That came across as much more smarmy than intended.

Apologies.

20. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

No apologies needed. I appreciate the fact that you answered the question in a yes or no fashion. Some like to dance around it like its not that easy but it is and I respect you for taken your stance on it.