Do People Have a Right to Healthcare

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Mar 14, 2017.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm not expecting anything to be "free" in the sense that medical professionals are not being paid or no one has any responsibility. Any more than a I think interstates are "free" or water treatment is "free."

utvol0427 and NorrisAlan like this.
  2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I always correct my kids when they say "community college is free for two years" and remind them, no, it is being paid for by the tax payers of Tennessee for not just your benefit but for everyone in the state's benefit. And it isn't to be taken lightly.

SetVol13, justingroves and IP like this.
  3. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Y'all should listen to that Brigham Buhler podcast with Rogan. I'm sure you'll agree with most of it. His message was essentially that there are a lot of problems, but the insurance companies are the main one, and most of the other problems can be traced back to the insurance companies. He held big pharma accountable as well, but the insurance companies to a much higher degree.

And he seems to be actually doing something about it with the company he started.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think the insurance companies are not the only problem, but are the impediment to identifying and solving any others beyond them. They like things just the way they are.

5. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

My gall bladder surgery a couple years ago was the first thing I ever had to use health insurance for. It did what it was supposed to do pretty painlessly but none of it made much sense to me when the EOBs and bills and whatnot came in

6. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

He dives deeper into other ways they are layering themselves into the process to have more control over how everything works. Again, you may know all of that stuff, but I'm sure most people don't. It was interesting.

7. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Politicians, the mega pharmaceutical and insurance companies love the broken market they’ve created and police over.

Poppa T likes this.
  8. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

The system is designed to make money on people's illnesses. It has been that way for as long as I have been alive and it only has gotten worse.

That being said and back to the OP, if my GP determines that I need anything not performed in his office, they schedule and tell me when and where to go. If it is urgent, then they make sure the "test" is performed on an "urgent" time frame.

But you are right, not everybody has the luxury of immediate follow-up/action based on a insurance-driven profit process.