Does Cal Have Any Chance Against UCLA?

Discussion in 'Cal Bears' started by kidbourbon, Oct 17, 2014.

1. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

I'm thinking no, and I'm thinking about putting my money where my mouth is.

Thoughts? Anybody wanna talk me out of it?

2. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

There's a better chance that Droski is made Chief Curator of the Obama Presidential Library.

But I know relatively nothing about each team (other than UCLA appears more good-er), and certainly don't know what does or does not make for a good wager.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

No chance. Cal's defense is awful.

4. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

I know nothing about Cal, but I watched Memphis barely lose to UCLA, so as far I'm concerned all bets are off.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

I've actually watched every Cal game this season. Their record is a statistical anomaly. They've been quite fortunate. On offense, they have the potential to be really, really good when Goff is on his A-game. On defense, I have no idea what they are even trying to do. They only get stops when the other team beats itself. This puts a ton of pressure on the offense. I expect UCLA to win by 2 or 3 touchdowns. Not because UCLA is great, but unlike many Pac-12 teams UCLA is somewhat balanced which will allow them to take full advantage of Cal.

6. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

No seems safe to me.

7. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

College football is a fickle [itch bay]

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

For the love of god why?

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Interesting note: UCLA has not beaten cal at home since 1998 with the average margin of victory by cal of well over double digits. They play every year. UCLA generally had the better team as well. As an example, during Tedford's about to get fired season (and mora's breakout season) cal obliterated ucla at home in 2012. Cal also historically gets up for this game because of all the LA kids on the roster while UCLA MIGHT be in full meltdown mode now that they aren't going to make the playoff and likely won't even win the pac-12 south. On the other hand, even not up for it, I'd expect UCLA to score 35+ points because their skill talent is infinitely better than our D. Cal's hope is that ucla continues to have zero pass rush, continues to not protect hundley at all, and we score a shitload.

In summary, who the **** knows? I would suggest that it probably isnt' the easy money you think it is, but I've picked ucla with the points in every pickem I'm in. shrug

Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
  10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

We've played some not so great teams. We got lucky against WSU, got unlucky against Arizona. The defense cannot stop a decent passing team. It should be noted against UW that cal had two untouched fumbles that resulted in a 21 point swing. And though cal is prone to choking, I'd suggest that was a flukey blowout. Cal's best 3 defensive players were injured against UW as well despite the defense playing better than it had before. Two of those guys return against UCLA, but hundley and his wrs are a much worse matchup than UW.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

I've told you before. All of my academic pedigree is from Berkeley. If I'm watching or talking college football with my adviser, a big chunk of it is Cal. He invites me over to watch the games. We watch the Tennessee games sometimes too, god knows why. We're a pretty miserable pair.

12. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Sorry I didn't remember.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

You're not sorry. You're not sorry at all!

*throws self down on bed and sobs

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

It's not your fault. It's not your fault. It's not your fault.

15. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I like Goodwill Hunting. It has math in it. Well, it is about a mathematician, anyway.

16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I dated a chick once who was a math phd student and she was all pissy that the math in goodwill hunting too easy. I found it funny.

17. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Yeah, there is a Numberphile episode on that. It is pretty funny.

EDIT:

[video=youtube;iW_LkYiuTKE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iW_LkYiuTKE[/video]

Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
  18. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

How do you like dem apples!?!

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

UCLA isn't very good at football

20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Cal's not even sure they are playing the right game.