POLITICS Dominican Republic

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by Savage Orange, Jun 21, 2019.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

alcohol can be a blocker for some things. Don't know, though. This is a direction I'd look in, were I the FBI or DR authorities.

2. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I'd come in like Dustin Hoffman and quarantine the whole island.

IP likes this.
  3. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I have this gut feeling that it’s actually genetically engineered dinosaurs to blame here

4. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Ive stayed at the hard rock there. Pretty good time. Food average. Mini bar drinks were acidy.

The Dooz likes this.
  5. JudgmentVol

JudgmentVol Chieftain

Been here since Thursday. We haven't died yet.

6. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Keep trying

kmf600 likes this.
  7. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

Dang, and I call myself Savage....

8. Ssmiff

I was amazed at the lack of taste of chocolate with DR cakes and cookies.

9. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

If it's pesticides, someone tell me that at least there aren't that many bugs. I'm not saying it isn't, but I would be curious what they are using and where and how it's applied. Seems like the dose wouldn't be high enough for such an acute reaction unless there's some synergistic effect going on with the alcohol or something.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

There are still a lot of bugs.

11. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Are staff members dying too? Or only tourists?

I’ve not followed, but seems if it were pesticides in the rooms, cleaning and support staff would also suffer from exposure.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

That's a good point. Don't know.

13. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

There are some things things that can play into explaining this. Routes of exposure, duration of exposure, even a tolerance to the chemical. Room cleaners and support staff would be in and out of rooms and may not work full days. Tenants would touch it, taste it, breathe it for hours at night potentially. It's possible the staff could have developed a tolerance over time as well.

14. Savage Orange

I hope this tack that I’m about to take is received in the manner I’m intending, but is it only Americans dying? If so, I wonder if our hyper vigilance about cleanliness and safety over the past few decades (although I clearly remember running behind the truck spraying for mosquitoes as a child, along with all my friends, which may explain a lot about me....) has resulted in an inability to tolerate conditions that are less than perfect, as are usually found in “less developed” countries... the rules about pesticides here in the US are very strict (thank goodness...) but in other countries that isn’t the case and my question is could this be an unintended consequence of that strictness?

15. Savage Orange

Matter of fact, I’m just going to blame the mosquito truck every time I do or say something around here from now on...

16. Ssmiff

serial killer at the bottling/packaging level, or a service person who restocks, or maid. Doing it patiently and spreading around so he will be harder to track. just guesses of course. I think if it was pesticides or chemicals used in the rooms, there would be more people, as in 1 after the other in the same complex as the maids clean room by room with the same products.

17. Savage Orange

Whenever I go to Guatemala or another Central American country with a group, we all eat the same food, stay in the same place and do the same things... some us us get violently ill, others not even a wet fart. Folks are different... some have better tolerance for foreign surroundings than others.

18. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

19. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

NorrisAlan likes this.
  20. JudgmentVol

JudgmentVol Chieftain

Haven't tried. I've honestly been a little underwhelmed with most of the food.
    Oh there are definitely lots of bugs still. The mosquitoes are as rabid as any place I've been.