Don't Re-Nig in 2012

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by VolDad, Mar 16, 2012.

Tags:
  1. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Niggardly is a real word and has nothing to do with black people.

2. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Oh, I was thinking the bumper sticker. Still not a smart choice to use it. You have to know how it will turn out.

I will add that I don't consider 'niggardly' as being basic vocabulary. We need to consult axion to confirm.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
  3. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Certainly true. But it's always irked me that you have to censor words that shouldn't be offensive at all because stupid people will confuse them for things that are offensive.

4. JayVols

Honestly, I was unaware of the word. I'm not stupid. Just can't recall encountering it.

5. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

CV better not hit up east town mall with that on his car.

6. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

It irks me that the words “racist or racism” is so easily used when in fact the correct word for the situation should be “prejudice”.

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Who uses the word niggardly anymore though? My great grandfather would throw it out from time to time but he was 80 something when he passed away in 1990. I haven't heard it since, in the proper context.

It's not racist, just a little dated

8. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I see it in British journals from time to time. They actually know what the word means, unlike the majority of this country.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

Acting like niggardly is inappropriate is like axting like a pianist is vulgar. Ignorant.

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I just haven't seen or heard it in a really long time.

11. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Fair enough. Maybe I shouldn't be making fun of vocabularies so much as people assuming a word is offensive without looking up the meaning.

12. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

niggardly, I'm bringing it back.

13. JayVols

TV no big deal with me. I look at it that I learned a new word. I did assume a negative connotation. I usually don't do that.

14. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

15. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator