Dooley: [Penis] or Misunderstood?

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by TennTradition, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

I think it applies, tangentially at least. The unique thing about being a college football coach is that you have a chance to bring in guys that suit what you're trying to do and that will respond to your style of coaching. If you can bring in talented guys and they respond to your coaching, you'll succeed. Which is why, when I hear "lost the team" rumors, I really want to know whether Dooley lost Dooley's guys or whether he lost Fulmer/Kiffin's guys.

2. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

If the young guys didn't really care if they won the UK game because they didn't want to be around the coaches anymore just to go to some cold-weather bowl...then that's a huge problem.

However, a part of me wonders if some of the young guys didn't really care if there was going to be a bowl because they knew they wouldn't be eligible to play in it...perhaps even preferred there not be a bowl so this wouldn't be public....

3. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Definitely. But if they were tired of a power struggle with upperclassmen and just wanted the year to end so that a division could be healed, that's different. [This is a hypothetical, I have no idea what actually was going on. I seem to recall hearing something about a rift between sophomores and seniors, but I don't really know the root of it or how widespread it was.]

4. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

I think there is a difference in being a "[Penis]" and simply not accepting personal responsiblilities. A guy like Johnny Majors was not pleasant to play for, but at the same time he always had his players back in the end. Dooley comes across as a douchebag because of his willingness to abdicate blame from himself and direct it towards teenagers.

5. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Agreed - that's part of the reason why he is a [Penis] and not just a hard-nosed coach....

6. ^^this^^

You can tell by the reaction of Barbara Dooley when 'Precious' is criticized. He has been raised that he is VERY special, and can do no wrong. I will be willing to bet money on one thing. Talk to Derek's former teachers, and Babs Dooley storming into the school on a rampage over Precious, was not an uncommon occurence.

He has been taught since birth. "You're Derek 'Precious' Dooley, and it is not your fault. They're just picking on my baby."

7. tennesseevolman

tennesseevolman New Member

[Penis]! He has proven nothing before he came to UT and he continues to prove nothing since he has arrived. [Penis], [Penis], [Penis], [Penis]. Oh, and I almost forgot, I think he is a [Penis]!

8. tennesseevolman

tennesseevolman New Member

If you have not read this article yet on CDD's Prickyness yet, you need to. It is a great read, and I think you will enjoy it:
    Feels Like 98 » [ddiapos], Micromanagement and TPS Reports: How Corporacracy is Failing Tennessee

9. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I tend to go w a [Penis] no one respects.

Its the same as every other area of life. Many people I've worked for were total jackasses. I think to some extent you have to be to be successful. However, if I respected them I would overlook it and bust my ass. If I didn't I would avoid them and try my best to avoid them and give half assed efforts when I had to. I don't see why it would be any different with a team.

10. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

I have a former Player that I coached in HS on the staff. I have talked to him and the public perception and the team perception is quite different. There are alot of things going on the the public just doesn't know. As a former VOL, I still can get inside to a degree. Dooley only wants what he wants released and nothing more. Plus you have to look at "mesh points" of 3 different HC's players. I was here during the Battle/Majors change, you may not believe this but with the first team meeting with Majors, almost the first thing out his his mouth was,"I don't want any of you in this room, I want my own players!" then we were intertained by Tony Dorsett!

11. Daddy Gee

Daddy Gee Chieftain

yep ..

12. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

if i was you guys i'd be more concerned about the fact he isn't smart enough to lie properly.

13. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

I agree. Most, and maybe even the vast majority, of good coaches are pricks of some degree. Saban is; Meyer is; Spurrier was. It's true in most sports. Cal is a [Penis]; so is K; so is Pitino.

And there is the difference. The guys I just mentioned are type A driven egomaniacs who are pricks because they believe they are the baddest MFs in the room, and they are usually right. They know how to do what they are trying to do, and you can either get with their program or move on. I do not get the same impression from Dooley.

14. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

I do not buy the statement for one second that he thinks people should respect his last name. How many times has he said "nobody is gonna feel sorry for me, us, or Tennessee". he knows that people do not care about his last name being Dooley, and that he ultimately must win to stick around. As far as [Penis] or misunderstood, I would venture to say its a combination of both. Im sure he, just like most football coaches, can be an ass. I also think that he is a nice guy, but he has a funny way of showing it.

15. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Do you really believe he has this job if his last name isn't Dooley?

16. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

Good point. I do remember hearing Mike Hamilton say he was in a hotel room watching La. Tech's bowl game in 08 right after the Kiffin hire and he said he wrote Dooley down on his list of coaches because of organizational skills during the game. I believe he said that one day on 104.5 The Zone if im not mistaken when George Plaster asked him why they hired Dooley. I am sure that the last name did have some influence though.

17. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

So what are you saying? He really is a [Penis]?

18. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

No he's just a football coach. Coaches are a different breed. Your always thinking about football. You have to think about your players, your family, your job, etc.... From coaching HS football for 27 years, I know what its like there, dealing with your quarterback club, boosters, parents and players, I can only imagine the presser put on someone at a high profile job as UT. You can't and will never please 50% of the people, and that may be a high estimate. But you can only worry about what you have to do and not really care what every body says. Sometimes that gives impressions to people on the outside that you are something else. Very seldom will you see a coach at a major university really be themselves because people won't let them. They have to be coach all the time. They don't realize the hours you put in, breaking down film, making practice schedules, game prep, and the hundreds of little things that a coach has to do. You have people always wanting to get to you to tell you what you need to do and not do. Always knowing that there is always going to be people that like you and those that don't, those that try and help you and those that try and tear you down. Its not a win, win situation, its a darn if you do and darn if you don't situation.

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Only reason he's a failed coach is his last name. If he were Derek Smith, he'd still be a lawyer. His [uck fay]ing mother talking about him is all you really need to hear to know he's a [breast] baby that squawled when things didn't go his way.

20. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Being a complete and total [penis] is fine. Look at saban, belicheck, parcells or Coughlin.

You have to be respected though. No one respects a momma's boy that is 40 something years old.