Dooley's Going to Get Destroyed by the Media for This Arnett Fiasco...

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by LawVol13, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Stonewall83

Stonewall83 New Member

First post but I can't agree more!!! That team would drive me to drinking.....not exactly a long haul but...

2. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Yahoo!

Dooley has now put us on Yahoo!'s headlines. Picking up steam. Hopefully the last line of the article is true. It basically says this is providing more fuel to a seat that is hot enough already.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

A good coach takes the All-Never Tennessee team assembled above and beats Dooley's 2011 squad.

4. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I agree. It's very petty and a no win situation for Dooley. In that case, you opt for the solution that doesn't make you look like a heartless [Penis] to the rest of the nation. imo jmo tifwiw.

5. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

I'm probably going against the flow here but I'm going with Dooley on this one. Looking at everything I've been looking at, there is an awful lot that isn't being said. If you look at Arnett's family situation before signing and now, It hasn't really changed. I do have a former player on staff at UT. I WILL NOT tell anyone his name, with the exception of one that I told several months ago. I have not talked to him yet about this but will in time. I do admit that it looks worse than it actually is but will work itself out in the end. I saw something posted about Brandon Warren The TE that transferred from FSU, Bobby Bowden didn't release him to any school. We all know how that worked out.

6. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I don't think that matters too much. Say Dooley is technically right about this deal. Is it really worth it? I mean, the headlines that people will remember are "Dooley denies transfer for kid with sick dad". So, why bother with it? Just cut your losses and be done with it.

Furthermore, in the world of the NCAA, where athletes get the short end of the stick, there's no reason why a coach should be able to dictate to a player where they can transfer to. If a kid leaves, sitting out a year is a reasonable penalty without the superfluous crap an ego maniacal control freak of a coach can levy on some kid.

7. If you think that team is shitty, did you happen to catch the 2011 Vols? :(

Last edited: Dec 31, 2011
  8. GREAT! How about we make the Yahoo front page for some negative exposure. Thanks, Derek.

[​IMG]

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It's a mess that could have been avoided.

I think Dooley has a legit reason for being a [penis] here but it's a no win situation for him.

Arnett can pull the "my dad is sick" card and win. He's not a good enough ball player to go through this with.

10. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

I would say no, but that team could probably beat Kentucky.

11. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

There's a pretty obvious answer though. There are two Big Ten schools in Michigan. Even if the rumors are true, Arnett's brother is only working with one of them. Release him to the other one, avoid PR disaster. Not that hard.

12. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

I'm convinced coach Fulmer would've beaten Kentucky, because he just would've run the ball every play, and we would've eventually worn them down. Trying to rely on Bray's arm was an obvious mistake. When you're playing a really bad team, unimaginative, ultra-conservative strategy can sometimes work

13. Bassmanbruno

Bassmanbruno Banned

The fact that Arnett reached out to ESPN tells me everything I need to know. This has nothing to do with his dad being sick. I wouldn't let him go either.

14. Unimane

So, it's about punishing him then, for going to ESPN? To me, it's simply wrong for a coach to hinder a move by a player for such petty, vindictive reasons. Kids have to sit out a year to transfer, which is reasonable.

All the excuses given for holding Arnett hostage are just fans starting with their conclusion and then trying to find justifications for it.

15. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I respect your pride or whatever is motivating that stance, but Dooley honestly can't afford to have this kind of bad PR on top of the pressure he is already under. Every little negative just makes it easier and easier for him to get canned. He gains nothing by not releasing Arnett, but his image is already taking a hit. At this point, image is the only thing he's got. Much more of this stuff and folks are going to start resenting him wearing orange pants.

16. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Yeah, he was.

17. Unimane

No, he wasn't. His analysis of 19th century capitalism was pretty astute and his ideas have much value today, even if his conclusions and creation of an ultimate communist system were off base. I'm guessing you haven't read much of Marx's work.

18. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Yup.

19. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Of course. The reason I disagree with an immoral, failed philosophy is because I obviously do not understand it.

20. Jewbaccah

Jewbaccah New Member

Arnett is now interested in playing for Notre Dame...yeah it was about his dad...I mean that is so close to home and all...