Dormady to Play

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by govols182, Oct 5, 2015.

1. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

That's no the only way to win. But he has had some nice throws over the middle. He isn't Peyton, but he is not the reason we are losing.

2. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

At this point, they may as well let Jennings play QB. Maybe he can throw it to himself.

3. TDVol1989

The TD to Malone against OU was nice.

4. dknash

dknash Chieftain

I feel like this move will tread water at best, as any gains in the throw game will likely be neutralized by making our run game absurdly even easier to identify. Also, it will probably piss off most of the team.

Sounds like a great move, then. Go for it, Butch.

5. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

I don't agree. I don't know if it's the coaching, scheme or Dobbs or all of the above, but our passing game clearly blows. He misses receivers to the point of completely uncatchable at least half of the time. They miss several others. His completion percentage is only north of the Mendoza line because he throws 25 screens per game. The complete neutering of our passing game and now departure from Dobbs running the ball at all has rendered our offense completely inept.

6. TDVol1989

I stand by my statement that while Dobbs isn't Peyton, he isn't why we are losing. Dormady could be better, but that won't fix it.

7. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

And that's fair. The coaches just suck. It's like they're competing for last place each game in the best coach playoffs.

8. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I think it's about 33.5%, 33.5%, and 33%

9. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Yeah, I'm sure the WRs love him.

10. JohnnyQuickkick

they only dropped about 8 balls this week

11. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

A better passing game is going to make our ground game worse? That makes 0 sense.

12. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

The surprise of actually being hit in the hands probably did it.

13. JohnnyQuickkick

catch the damn ball

14. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

If I'm being honest, I didn't see the entire game. I just know and have known that Dobbs can't sling it.

15. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

Infographic for Dobbs in the 3 big games to date

http://www.orangehound.com/TVO/misc/DobbsPassing-OFA.jpg

Shows that Dobbs, in those games, is 22 of 35. A good chunk of that (8 of 9) is behind the LOS. Dobbs is not the best passer by far, however, I can't help but think that he's been a little hampered in throwing the ball by a few of his receivers as well as the play calling. Notably, when you use 1st and 2nd down to get no gain or lose 3 yards because your trying to run toss sweeps and stretch plays with your 242b wrecking ball, then you have no choice to but to throw on 3rd and long or 3rd and a mile.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
  16. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Very accurate throwing down the middle of the field, but that's illegal in this offense

17. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

I wonder how many of those thrown to the outer boundaries in the middle distance were drops... if the combined number of drops are 3 to 4, then Dobbs should be off the hook and it should land solely on the play calling in regards to the offensive struggle....I am leaning play calling, although I don't suggest Dobbs as a premier passer

18. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I don't need stats or some chart. I've seen him miss wide open throws enough to know he ain't getting it done passing.

19. MettaWorldPeace

MettaWorldPeace Contributor

It will expose our offensive line even more. Normally, a coach would adjust the offense to help, but we both no that's not happening. While in theory, going with a more accurate, better arm sounds good, it will fail. Due to slow developing plays, it will result in defenses playing even more aggressively and make Hurd run for his life even more than what he already has. Look at Worley for example. He stood in and threw the ball downfield, but he's lucky that he's still walking today. The same will happen to Dormady because you know the coaching staff will run the no read option with him.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
  20. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

It's like there's a kraken or something they're afraid of in there.