Driverless Trucks Imminent, 1% of US jobs gone

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Apr 26, 2016.

1. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I think I remember that movie. Was it a camaro or something like it? And the driver was with a kid? Good lord.

2. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

Lee Majors and his Porsche race car.

Burgess Meredith flew the Sabre.

3. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I gotta find that movie.

4. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

What the hell? What is the rationale?

5. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I miss full service shops.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'll believe that when firearms are banned and cigarettes are illegal.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

I used to know. Oregon, Vermont, and New Jersey are like that. You're not legally allowed to handle the pump. I think it has origins in preserving jobs but is made out to be about safety. Like I said, I used to know but I can't remember the details.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

Unless folks were willing to work for 10 dollars a day, these jobs were going to disappear.

9. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

If it happens, it will be before these two.

10. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

Lol the auto industry destroyed itself a long time ago

11. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

It'll be Russia

12. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

I live in the place and it's about the jobs. It's stupid, because the state has to charge less in taxes on fuel to keep those guys employed, but it must be pretty close to neutral financially. If it's neutral, I'll take the gas pumper. I now forget when I'm traveling that I have to pump my own fuel and it pisses me off when I do and have to get off of a call or something.

13. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

The govt. will wait until the number of people still driving decline by about 50% before banning the practice. At that point cars will not have the ability to be driven manually. I think this will not take place before 2035, with driverless capability available around 2030.

14. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

Refueling trucks would not pose a problem as has been stated. The best way to keep it simple and not require a person is to have an in-ground nozzle which the truck drives over and lazers align the nozzle with filler. Fuel would flow under pressure with a dry break system to avoid spillage. Scanners would pickup the ownership info and bill to a fuel card. Having the fuel tanks within the frame of the truck rather than hanging on the sides of the cab would be much safer, both for fire prevention and spills.

15. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Just put a lil nuclear reactor on all of them

16. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

'merica!!!!

and I agree

17. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I highly doubt that manual driving will ever be outlawed. However I could see interstate driving being made mandatory auto pilot. You could then run at higher speeds and be far safer.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

I could definitely see something like this. It would increase road capacity by a factor of two with virtually no traffic effects.

19. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Do you think shipping prices will go down as a result of lower labor costs?

I'm predicting no, prices will go up because of increased equipment costs.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

Read the article. Three quarters of shipping costs are labor, and without labor the efficiency can increase further because the most efficient speed of driving these semi's is 45 mph.