Driverless Trucks Imminent, 1% of US jobs gone

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Apr 26, 2016.

1. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think more than a few people in this thread might be misunderstanding how this would work. You don't build a robot to replace a driver. You build the vehicle to not need one in the first place. The vehicles could and will end up looking very very different to what current vehicles look like. This would probably mean that they could be designed much more in accordance with wind resistance principles, as one example, because cosiderations like "where do we put the steering wheel or the gear shift aren't even in play.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

It exists, it just isn't very popular for some reason. Even has an electric charge station it automatically returns to.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

Just looked it up, there are apparently many robot mowers available from many different companies with many different features. Amazing!

4. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

You just wanting your buddy to do that so you can inevitably sue the shit out of him?

5. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I thought about building a simple remote control one a couple of months ago and decided it was more trouble than I wanted right now with two teenagers in the house.

6. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

What happens when your kids get shrunken to insect size and are stranded in the front yard?

7. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Have some Canadian bacon.

8. kidbourbon

Dude, that excuse was useful for you when your kids were like 5 and 8. The usual concern with teenagers is how little time they spend around the house, no? You should be dying for a project.

9. kidbourbon

They need to ramp up their marketing efforts.

10. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Yeah. I reinvented RFID tracking for keys/wallet/phone about a month ago.

11. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I've got a year before either even sniff the driver's seat of a car with a learner's permit. I'm going to be able to milk free yard work for a while still.

12. kidbourbon

Dagnabbit! That's a bummer, man. I feel ya.

13. dknash

dknash Chieftain

I mean, I was just lying awake and brainstormed it a little, then Googled it after I got up and found the two companies selling it for $20. No harm no foul.

I think it could maybe expand to the leaving kids/pets in cars thing, with a temperature sensor that raises an alarm when a dangerous temperature is reached within a limited range of movement. Not sure anyone is doing that, although it could be something sold separately.

But then I wonder if selling tracking devices to the public doesn't expose oneself to substantial liability.

14. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

There is something similar for leaving a kid in a car. I "invented" that a couple of years ago.

15. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Don't think it wasn't considered once upon a time. Same thing for airplanes.

16. TennTradition

I would thing the value propositions are fairly different. It's hard to encourage a large capital investment if you can just pay someone else to do it for a maintenance fee.

17. TennTradition

How much more expensive are they?

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

They seem to range from 950 bucks on up to the thousands.

19. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I actually really enjoy cutting my yard.

Not really, I pay a dude 80 coconuts a cut, and it's worth every effing penny.

20. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

Indeed, I was aware of them, but cannot name one brand. Probably would not be practical for me, too many steep banks, uneven ground, and just too much yard, trees, bushes. I wonder how long a charge lasts, and how long required to recharge?