Early Signing Period Wrap Up

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by lylsmorr, Dec 22, 2017.

1. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Any thoughts? Tough year to give a coach only two weeks to work on the top prospects.

Sitting at 8th in the SEC, but can seemingly easily catch up to the 4-5 ahead of UT since they're only sitting at 16 commits.

2. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

From being destroyed by media and Currie/schiano to having what most people call a very successful 2 weeks, and in on many names that wouldn't consider us if not for the current staff. I feel good.
    I also think Pruitt is holding back a little due to various reasons and when the season is over he will have that extra closing gear when he's no longer coaching there.

3. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Looking at the Rivals rankings and average stars per team, it seems highly likely we will be in the top 12ish when it is all said and done. If we close with like 7-8 more 4 stars, which is possible, it will be top 10.

4. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

Given the timing and the fact that Pruitt felt like he had to scrap most of Butch's class, I'm fine grading on a curve right now. Flipping the Memphis kids and the TE has me feeling good about the staff's recruiting abilities. Need to see a strong close, though.

5. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

Honestly, I think this confirms what we already knew about Pruitt. He can recruit and he can evaluate talent. I really like the fact that he has a checklist of measurables that work for, at least, his defensive system and recruits the highest rated players that fit. Instead of picking up Easter eggs with no idea how they will be used. It’s a solid start. I guess the next test will be watching spring practice.

6. 10SEvols

10SEvols Member

Wish we would've got Mays but Pruitt can't make him come here. Hard to believe he was more committed to Butch than UT, oh well.

TangoUniform and **TDCVOL** like this.
  7. **TDCVOL**

**TDCVOL** Contributor

I don’t think he would have came even if Butch had not been fired. I know his mom and Barb are supposedly friends, but I think Mays is a front runner. He doesn’t want to help build anything he wants to fall in line and follow the leader. JMO.

8. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

I'm not 100% certain on this, but I feel, anyway, like we had 0 shot with Carvin and Banks, Banks especially since he wasn't even offered. And there's already been several others we've either signed or are likely signed we had no shot with prior to Jones.

If we can overachieve a little on the field next season, next years class could explode.

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I wouldn't even consider it over achieving, I would say "live up to their recruiting ranking"

10. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Novel concept.

11. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

How about playing players in an offense that fits their skill set?

12. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I don't guess he signs early but sounds like we may have Eddie Smiff. I like Louisiana kids and think Pruitt is going to know how to coach them and let them play ball. Couple already on the roster have potential

13. YankeeVol

YankeeVol Member

I’m pretty happy with how the early signing class ended up. Better than I expected.

Hopefully February will be better

14. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Solid day. Get a few of the big names popping up to close.

ATP a top 15 finish is a good finish.

Next year is a needed top 5.

A-Smith and smokysbark like this.
  15. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

No excuses for February. Gotta land most of those names listed earlier.

16. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I'd also like the 4.35 kid from Seattle that Niedermeyer is working on

17. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Griffin, the two JuCo OL, Copeland, Peterson, Walker. That's pretty freaking good for what's still left.

18. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Early signing period is a crazy disadvantage to new staffs. Only about 30 of the ESPN top 100 are not SIGNED.

19. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

Olaijah Griffin
    Jahmir Johnson
    Johncarlo Valentin
    Eddie Smith
    JJ Petersen
    Jacob Copeland

That would be a hell of a start. Throw in a Coynis Miller, Quay Walker, or Taylor-Stuart and you’d have a top 8-12 type of class.

A-Smith likes this.
  20. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

Good enough. I meant more from a general perspective. I don't think many will expect much from this team next year.