Elon Musk is in “Bonkersland”?

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, May 25, 2018.

1. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

[​IMG]

2. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

This is me. Don't want a jacked up Delorean.

Not replacing my awful mileage truck for that. Will just wait for electric f150

3. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

Did you see any of the reveal? It was a disaster. I've never seen a company hype something like this and show up to a presentation where they just did not give a single [uck fay] about professionalism or being prepared. It was like a group project that one person worked on and that person only worked on the mad max outfits and the rest just threw everything together 30 minutes before. It was so bizarre. I was honestly waiting for them to hit the door with the sledgehammer and the whole thing break apart to reveal the actual truck or for it to fall apart and them bring out the actual truck.

It's a shame, because the specs this thing has would have absolutely turned the market upside down if they weren't too busy trying to make a truck straight out of a Sega CD game.

4. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

Are you talking about the Rivian? This is the only truck Tesla has released.

5. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

Although I still can't believe that that's it. It's so lazy, I can't believe that's a Tesla product.

6. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

It looks like an auxiliary vehicle from Star Fox

dknash, ptclaus98 and VolDad like this.
  7. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I didn't see it, just saw the pics and read about what a disaster it was.

And yes, it most certainly would have changed everything if they provided a truck for Earth and not Mars.

8. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

He has been saying for a while it would not be for everyone, which is a bit odd when the idea is to move your product. I was prepared for the Mars look based on how he'd talked about it before. Don't be surprised if they tweak it if feedback is weighted negative.

9. CardinalVol

I just don't feel like your average guy/gal that is going to want to buy a truck is going like this at all.

10. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Agreed. If you've limited your market to mainly sci-fi dorks like me you're going to have trouble.

I'm convinced this thing is almost entirely Elon. He's said many times the truck is his favorite Tesla design and he's a huge sci-fi nerd.

11. CardinalVol

Got a feeling everyone involved but him knew how this would be received but in classic Elon fashion would fire anyone who questioned him.

12. cpninja

cpninja Member

the glass breaking during their demo pretty much summed up the whole thing imo

NorrisAlan likes this.
  13. IP

IP Super Moderator

My bad, I am talking about another one. Not the Rivian, the Atlis (which looks really similar to the Rivan). And then there is some other one from a Britsh company. And there is the electric mustang which is sort of an SUV.

But so far, it is greenwashing by the traditional motor companies. They are not advertising or building them at the rate of their gasoline-powered models.

14. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I’m pretty sci-fi nerdy dorky and this is about the stupidest thing I ever saw

15. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

don't you think that's because people still want gasoline models over electric

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

I won't lie, I would not be able to justify being an normal working man thinking of starting a family who drives that Halo Warthog around. But I do think it's cool as hell. I never could justify spending money on luxury/cool cars, and not sure I ever will.

I am disappointed he didn't come out with a more practical alternative for the truck market. Looks like others did, though they don't have the Tesla name recognition so it may be a long climb. And regardless, the biggest issue is that although must truck drivers don't really need a truck for a practical purpose, those that do are ill-served without a quick on-demand charged battery. I think they need to consider something modular where spare battery units can be charging and swapped out while the truck is off hauling trailers or whatever. In other words, think differently than they have with cars so far.

I already know my next vehicle will be electric, but only dorks like me are ever going to drive them if they don't start making them more "normal."

17. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Plus side wouldn't even have to hit the breaks if a deer jumped out in front of you in this bad boy.

40,000 grand on a truck is stupid, but I don't like new cars and trucks

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

Car companies have always told us what we want, for those of us not on a farm (so you do not really apply to what I am saying).

19. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I would agree with that back in the day with the help of the government keeping competition out, but the market has changed a lot from the 70's and 80's

20. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

If so thats short sighted. When it comes to trucks, Electric has miles more potential than gas or diesel. The only upside for ICE engines in a truck is that they're usually way overbuilt and super reliable, and electric drivetrains haven't proven that level of reliability but that will be put to the test in the immediate future once they enter fleets